Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Subwoofer help please

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Subwoofer help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-04, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subwoofer help please

I was home one very hot afternoon when I heard what I thought was my 4-year-old son banging on our wooden front door. Woomp woomp woomp woomp. This went on for a about a minute and when I released that he was not the source of the woomps, I investigated further. Oh dear, this woomp woomp is coming from my Polk 450 subwoofer!!! I unplug the thing and the woomping stops. However, I can smell something like burning plastic (it must be said that it was very very hot here then).

As I was going on holiday soon, I just left the subwoofer unplugged. When I plugged it in again last night, however, still the same woomp woomp noise.

Can anybody out there shed any light on what has happened? I really hope that this is my (cheapish) amplifier (Sony DB-940) and not the subwoofer.

If you think it's the subwoofer, is it a write-off or can it be repaired?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
If that sound is coming from the sub with the receiver turned off it sounds to me like the cable is shorted.

I would check the connections, turn down the volume and try to see if you can start over like it was new.
Old 08-16-04, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
danos ... where u on your cell phone ? i have noticed my sub woffer goes absoulutely bazerk when im on my cell phone. my sub is a velodyne VA series 12" driver, about 10yrs old. so its not a cheep sub. it obviously has something to do with strong radio waves.

just a thought maybe u had the same problem

T