Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD Player to Shrink Image?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-04, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm looking for a DVD player (under $200) that can slightly shrink the projected image of movies. I'm using a DIY projector (800 X 600) without a zoom lense, and the image exceeds the width of my screen. I can't move the projector closer else it would interfere with viewing angles. I have been using a home theater PC running Zoomplayer to shrink the image, but I'm tired of the hassle of supporting another computer - I'd like a nice easy solution.

I've checked out the owner's manuals of most DVD players and many have an incremental zoom to increase the image size, but no one seems to reduce the image size.

The Panasonic S47 or S55 players have an option to shrink certain images, but I'm not sure if it can shrink the size of movies.

Any suggestions? DVD-A support would be an added benefit.

Thx
Old 07-19-04, 10:30 PM

I have a two year old Toshiba SD 4800 which both plays DVD-A and has a "reducing" zoom feature, in addition to the usual enlarging zoom. It is useful because the player seems to cut off the edges sometimes; this allows display of the full picture. I don't use it much anymore since the little bit of overscan didn't seem to be noticeable, but the feature is nice.
Old 07-22-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have an old Malata N996 that does incremental zoom which increase and decrease the image plus infinite x/y scaling. It works great for overscan images. It's not in production anymore but I think some of their other models have this feature also. I haven't kept up with their product line so your going have to do some research. The only other brand I know that does this also is Jaton. You can call or email HKflix.com for info.
Old 07-24-04, 11:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a Yamaha DV-S5650 that has 4 incremental zooms both increasing and decreasing, on its smallest setting on my 51" It's roughly the size of a 22" to 23" widescreen TV. Very very nice picture as well.

Ian
Old 07-30-04, 09:33 PM

I have a Samsung N501 that will do what you need. It actually will zoom to basically any 'percentage' that you want, i.e 88%, 250%, etc. It is a nice feature to have for cheap, old movie transfers where the picture is often cropped too much - I can see slightly more of the picture if I zoom out to ~90% (most DVD + TV combinations actually will slightly crop in the picture, from my experience, although Hi-Def Widescreens may not have this affect). I haven't seen this player sell in probably 2 years, but it has been a very good DVD player for me, although it is not progressive scan, it does have Component Outs.