Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Widescreen dvd showing as fullscreen

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-04, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a samsung dvd player and a sony 27inch tv (fs100).

Some DVDs that are widescreen (Babylon 5 for example) are displayed as fullscreen. The samsung dvd player has a "ez view" feature, but its widescreen mode also is full screen.

However, I can force it to show as widescreen by choosing the sony tv's 16:9 enhanced mode.

Any idea why this would happen? On my laptop, they show as widescreen as they should.

thanks!
Old 01-27-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be using your TV's 16:9 enhanced mode.

It sounds like you have your player set to output to a widescreen TV, which produces an image that appears vertically stretched on a standard TV because it has a third more lines of resolution (i.e. "enhanced for widescreen TVs).

In your case, this is the correct setting because your TV's 16:9 mode compresses the lines of resolution into the correct proportion, preserving the added resolution.

If your TV did not have such a mode, you would set your player to output 4:3. The player would then remove the extra lines of resolution and squeeze the remaining lines closer together, producing the proper letterboxed image, but without the added resolution.

Do you not notice that the apparent fullscreen image appears vertically stretched? I never understand how people don't notice this.

When in doubt, read your owner's manuals, as well as the FAQ at the top of this forum area.
Old 01-27-04, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually noticed it was stretched, which caused me to check the settings.

Problem with forcing the 16:9 enhanced mode is that menus on the same disc are in full screen, and it forces them into 16:9 as well.

I'll have to check if there is a way to make the tv always use it if it is possible.