Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

dircetv hdtv/dvr coming in april?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-25-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just heard from the manager at the local good guys that he has been told its coming in april. anyone else here a street date yet?

i have been holding out for this for about 4 months at least now. i thought...cool, it will give me time to save up...i havent saved sh!t but im still gonna get it
Old 01-25-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Not sure. I know the Dish Network one is out. I looked at it as it has slightly better HD programming available, but neither is outstanding presently. I decided to wait a year or so and see how the programming is starting to look.
Old 01-26-04, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That would be great news if it were true.
Old 01-26-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Release date of late march.
Old 01-26-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From what I've read, the HD DirecTivo should be out around early April. I'm pretty sure the MSRP is $999. I too am saving up for this unit.
Old 01-26-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by BigDave
From what I've read, the HD DirecTivo should be out around early April. I'm pretty sure the MSRP is $999. I too am saving up for this unit.
Any idea on Specs? I know the Dish one had a 250 gb drive which translated into 20 hours of HD recording.
Old 01-26-04, 02:11 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Lots of discussion over on the Tivo Forum

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...?s=&forumid=36

I have pre-ordered mine from Value Electronics who took pre-orders for the 1st 350.

If you paid a 100 dollar deposit they will take 100 dollars of the lowest available price out there.

Good Guys wanted people to pay 50% up front to pre-order and they would give I think 10% off.

From the FAQ..

DirecTV HD TiVos will include 2 Over-the-Air (OTA 8VSB) ATSC tuners (fed through a single coax input). These allow you to receive/record local digital/HDTV broadcasts using an antenna.

DirecTV HD TiVos will also include 2 DirecTV SD/HD tuners (2 coax inputs) which can receive/record standard definition and high definition programming from DirecTV. 2 of the 4 tuners can be active at any one time, allowing you to record 1 OTA or 1 DirecTV program while watching another or record 2 OTA, 2 DirecTV, or 1 OTA and 1 DirecTV program while watching one that has already been recorded.

At any one time, two of the four tuners can be active for recording. So you can record 2 OTA (local) shows, 1 OTA (local) and 1 DirecTV SD show, 1 OTA (local) and 1 DirecTV HD show, or 2 DirecTV HD shows.

DirecTV HD TiVos will have 1 Antenna In (split into 2 internally), 2 Satellite In, 2 USB2.0 ports, 1 Component output, 1 HDMI output, 1 S-Video output, 1 Composite output, 1 Stereo output, 1 Modem jack, and 1 Optical output.

DirecTV HD TiVos come with a High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) connector with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). A cable is included for TVs with HDCP-compliant DVI inputs. Regular DVI inputs could potentially get a downrezzed or blank picture depending on content providers.

The cables/adapters included in the DirecTV HDTiVo box are: 1. Coax F-type (for satellite), RCA (Yellow/red/white), S-Video, Component (PbPrY), HDMI-DVI, HDMI-HDMI, Optical (Dolby Digital), Power.

A Setup menu allows you to specify the Output Formats (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) your TV is capable of displaying. While watching live TV or a recorded program, you can simply press the UP arrow on your remote to toggle between the output formats you've specified. All programs are converted to the selected format. There are also buttons on the front of the unit giving the same control.

DirecTV HDTiVos have Stretch Modes allowing you to display 16:9 or 4:3 material stretched to fit 16:9 (standard) HDTVs or 4:3 HDTVs. Of course you can also play back this material in its Original Aspect Ratio. There are no zoom/crop/justify (aka "coke bottle") modes but these may be added later in software upgrades.

DirecTV HD TiVos will run a variant of the same 3.1 software seen on the current DirecTV TiVos. Neither version 4.0 of the software nor HMO networked media features have been announced.
Old 01-26-04, 02:13 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutu...id=12_18_2003A

DIRECTV Named "Best of Innovations" Honoree for HD DVR
DIRECTV is Honored by CEA in the Satellite Systems Category

El Segundo, CA Dec 18, 2003 DIRECTV, Inc., provider of the nation's leading digital multichannel television service and a unit of Hughes Electronics Corporation (NYSE: GMH), has been named Best of Innovations Honoree in the Satellite Systems category for the DIRECTV High-Definition (HD) Digital Video Recorder (DVR), by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). The HD-DVR250 model DIRECTV® HD DVR, manufactured by Hughes Network Systems, will be available in the first quarter of 2004.

Now in its seventh year, the Best of Innovations Awards are given to the most highly honored products in all facets of the consumer technology industry. The Best of Innovations display will be featured in the Grand Lobby of the Las Vegas Convention Center during the 2004 International Consumer Electronics Show.

"Our new HD DVR combines the best HD and DVR features with a wide variety of DIRECTV and off-air ATSC programming choices, offering DIRECTV customers the most robust TV experience available," said Laura O'Donnell, vice president, Product Development, DIRECTV, Inc. "We are delighted to be a Best of Innovations Honoree in the Satellite Systems category, and will continue to lead the multichannel industry by offering the very best in digital-quality programming, next-generation DIRECTV products and advanced television features."

The DIRECTV® HD DVR, along with the DIRECTV®DVR with TiVo® service, will apply familiar DVR functionality to DIRECTV and off-air ATSC high-definition programming - including the ability to record, pause, instant replay and rewind live television. The new DIRECTV HD DVR will feature a much larger recording capacity than existing DIRECTV DVRs, and will feature component and digital video outputs for enhanced audio and video.

The DIRECTV HD DVR will incorporate a 250 GB hard disk drive, which allows customers to store up to 30 hours of DIRECTV high-definition programming, up to 200 hours of standard-definition programming or any combination of the two*. The DIRECTV HD DVR enables customers to record high-definition programming from both DIRECTV and off-air ATSC. A customer can simultaneously record two different programs from DIRECTV, ATSC or one from each, while watching a pre-recorded program all at the same time. This means a customer can watch one high-definition program while recording two other high-definition programs.

In addition, the DIRECTV HD DVR will be one of the first products available with the latest in digital interfaces, High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) connector with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). The outputs may be configured for 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i formats.

* Actual recording time may vary depending on the type of programming being recorded.

DIRECTV is the nation's leading digital multichannel television service provider with more than 12 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc., a unit of Hughes Electronics Corp. Hughes Electronics Corporation, a unit of General Motors Corporation, is a world-leading provider of digital television entertainment, broadband satellite networks and services, and global video and data broadcasting. The earnings of HUGHES are used to calculate the earnings attributable to the General Motors Class H common stock (NYSE:GMH).
Old 01-27-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where's the best place to pre-order?*

* meaning you'll actually get it in a timely fashion at a decent price
Old 01-27-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
$999!
Old 01-27-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still waiting for the announcement that the 2nd gen. models will let you record on all 4 tuners simultaniously.

1 can hope, can't he?
Old 01-27-04, 02:55 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I ordered mine from the pre-order link over on the tivo forum
value electronics is the company. the owner or rep robert is very involved over there, and they seem to give excellent customer service.

as for the 999.

I already paid 400 for my 105 hour and if I can sell that for 300 or so and recoup some of the cost I'll be happy. its the early adopter price I guess, of course I am way behind as far as being an early adopter for HD but I will be for HDTivo