Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

just got my comcast HDTV installed and...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

let me say, I'm not impressed. the local hd channels have some sort of distortion at the top of the pic. and all the audio sounds like its in a tunnel. it sucks I just blew 35.00 on this.
Old 09-25-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 185 Posts
Comcast HD in Boston is peachy keen. Your decoder box could be faulty. Have you contacted Comcast customer service?

I assume you were given the Motorola DCT-5100 box? Try reading this FAQ to see if you can resolve the problem on your own. The audio portion at least sounds like you probably have a setting left on the wrong default.
Old 09-25-03, 08:15 PM

thanks for the link. I'm going to give it a read now.
Old 09-25-03, 08:34 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When mine was installed, there is a direct cable going into one of my inputs of the TV that gives me direct cable...not digital, not HD. Another input gets a link from the HD receiver and that is absolutely amazing! If you're watching the HD channels like 802, 805, 807, 882, etc. through a direct connection, you'll seen them letterboxed and there is a small line at the top that looks to be fluctuating. Make sure that you are watching the input from the HD receiver and not the direct input!

Depending upon the TV, you may have to enable or turn on the particular input and also set the resolution for 480P, 1080i, etc. Also, on the Motorola DTC 5100, you want to make sure that you setup your TV screen size, HD resolution, etc. You can access this menu on the Motorola by leaving your TV on, turning off the Motorola, and hitting the "menu" button on the Motorola. Use the remote or the keys on the Motorola to navigate.
Old 09-25-03, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by ngp
[B Also, on the Motorola DTC 5100, you want to make sure that you setup your TV screen size, HD resolution, etc. You can access this menu on the Motorola by leaving your TV on, turning off the Motorola, and hitting the "menu" button on the Motorola. Use the remote or the keys on the Motorola to navigate. [/B]
yeah, I had to figure that out by doing some searching online for the owners manual. I changed the settings on the box to:

y pr pb - 1080i - was set at 480p
4:3 override - 480i - was set at 480p
Old 09-26-03, 07:56 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even with the 480p setting, you should still get HD signal that is noticably better (like a DVD signal) than what you are seeing.

What type of TV and Model number do you have?

Also, when you do see the HD channels, are they very clear except for the distortion on top? How does channel 802 come in? This is the demo channel.

Also 881 and 882 are almost around the clock broadcast in HD so those are also good channels to guage by.
Old 09-26-03, 08:24 AM

the pic quality was good except for the bit of distortion at the top.

my tv is a toshiba 57hx93.

I don't have the channels that you listed.
Old 09-26-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ngp
When mine was installed, there is a direct cable going into one of my inputs of the TV that gives me direct cable...not digital, not HD. Another input gets a link from the HD receiver and that is absolutely amazing! If you're watching the HD channels like 802, 805, 807, 882, etc. through a direct connection, you'll seen them letterboxed and there is a small line at the top that looks to be fluctuating. Make sure that you are watching the input from the HD receiver and not the direct input!

Depending upon the TV, you may have to enable or turn on the particular input and also set the resolution for 480P, 1080i, etc. Also, on the Motorola DTC 5100, you want to make sure that you setup your TV screen size, HD resolution, etc. You can access this menu on the Motorola by leaving your TV on, turning off the Motorola, and hitting the "menu" button on the Motorola. Use the remote or the keys on the Motorola to navigate.
The channels you mentioned look like the Boston lineup, but he's in Michigan. Probably a whole different set of channel numbers.
Old 09-26-03, 02:08 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BSTNFAN
The channels you mentioned look like the Boston lineup, but he's in Michigan. Probably a whole different set of channel numbers.
Good point...sorry about that...it would be nice if Comcast standardized the channel lists....

for us the channels in HD are as follows:

802 PBS Demo
805 ABC
807 NBC
825 FOX
849 ESPNHD
881 INHD1
882 INHD2

802, 881, and 882 broadcast in HD nearly all the time.

Another basic question...you are using Component Video cables and an external HD receiver such as the Motorola DTC5100?

Last edited by ngp; 09-26-03 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 03:26 PM

I'm using component video with the DTC5100. as far as I can tell, we don't have either of the INHD channels.
Old 09-27-03, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an appointment Tuesday for my HD hookup and box. My HDTV has been waiting for this day for about 2 years. I have a friend who got it installed weeks ago and it looks sweet.
Old 09-28-03, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
I'm using component video with the DTC5100. as far as I can tell, we don't have either of the INHD channels.
The INHD channels were just added in Boston on Sept 15th. Comcast may be rolling them out to different areas at different times.
Old 09-28-03, 08:53 PM

NEW UPDATE

now my cable is causing my tv to "blackout". my screen flashes a black screen for a second and then returns to normal. this happens up to 4 times per minute.

apparently, my line strength is so low, that I can't have both HDTV and cable internet/ or my other cable boxes for that matter.

the hdtv box requires alot more signal than my old digital box and even having a vcr with no modem on the line causes problems. they are going to try an amplifier on my line tomorrow.
hopefully this works.
Old 09-28-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What kind of wiring do you have going from the box outside to the inside? When I first moved into my apartment I had to have new cable run (rg6) because the older stuff couldn't handle the bandwidth needed for digital cable/broadband.
Old 09-28-03, 09:46 PM

I don't have a box outside. the wire runs from the pole behind my house to the corner of my house then into a 2 way splitter. one cable for upstairs and 1 for down.

the wires for the downstairs are around 10 years old. the wire is rg6(I believe) but at 10 years old I just don't think that they're good anymore.

the best part was the fact that I wanted them to change it so I setup an appointment for the day before they came out to install the hd box. they came, looked at my cable for about 5 seconds and said "what's wrong with it? it looks good to me." then he just put a new connector on i(n the house) and off he went.

then when the hd guy came out he said my signal was low and told me to unhook my cable modem. yeah, like I'm going to pay 50.00 a month for something I can't use.
Old 09-29-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Typical Comcast service. It may take a few tries to get a competent service guy out there, but keep pestering them. There's no sense in paying for it if you can't use it.
Old 09-29-03, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
then when the hd guy came out he said my signal was low and told me to unhook my cable modem. yeah, like I'm going to pay 50.00 a month for something I can't use.
Are they saying that cable internet access can interfere with cable tv signal?
Old 09-29-03, 01:13 PM

they said that the signal isn't strong enough to handle the cable/ modem thru a splitter on the same line.
Old 09-29-03, 02:37 PM

well, comcast came out and the problem is still here. didn't really do too much. they said the signal is fine.
Old 09-29-03, 04:58 PM

upon further calling to comcast, I now need a signal booster/amp on my line, which will cost me more $ from comcast.

I just bought a Motorola Signal Booster for about 20.00 more than the amp they wanted to sell me. if this works I'll keep it and if it doesn't I can return it. the amp from comcast is nonrefundable according to the rep I spoke with.

doing the math:

comcast amp/booster - 60.00 nonrefundable

motorola signal booster - 80.00 refundable
Old 09-29-03, 09:48 PM

well, I ended up removing the hd box. the booster did nothing to help. I borrowed a digital box from my parents and no more blinking(keeping finger crossed )
Old 09-29-03, 10:25 PM

You can try looking for some info or post your question to AVS Forum.

I know when I was reading the "Official Minneapolis" thread (where I live), a lot of people were reporting problems with signal strength. Seems like a lot of people upgraded to better splitters to fix problems.

I don't specifically recall seeing a problem similar to yours, but give it a look!
Old 09-29-03, 10:43 PM

well, the blinking is back. good thing I have SAT so I can still watch some tv.
Old 09-30-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope I don't have this problem...I was planning on getting Comcast in Detroit area since I just bought a house...I wanted HDTV also.

I would go with WOW, but no HDTV....oh well
Old 10-01-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Comcast came out today to install my HD. It was the installers first HD job. He tried 2 different boxes but we can't get the HD channels to show up. Right now I have 100's of channels but no HD ones. He will come back tomorrow with his boss or somebody else to try and figure what's wrong. I was so jazzed to get it going finally and now I have to wait longer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.