Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

just got my comcast HDTV installed and...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

just got my comcast HDTV installed and...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok, I figured out the problem(I think). my tv was set with the Auto Aspect to "on". when I was comparing differences between inputs I noticed this. apparently, my cable signal was too weak prior to the repairs//or the set automatically switched to this during a reset because I didn't have this problem until after the install.

so, if anyone gets the same problem, I would check to see if the tv may have something similar and disable it. since I turned this feature off I have not seen a blink since.
Old 10-01-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coolness. I'm excited to get my HDTV. Is it really worth it? I'm hoping Comcast can match WOW's prices here in the Metro-Detroit area....
Old 10-01-03, 10:17 AM

I haven't really been able to watch anything yet since I had that blinking problem since the day I had hd installed. today I will definitely check out some stuff though.
Old 10-01-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend of mine had problems when they first installed his HD cable box and it turned out that the splitter they used was not the appropriate one for splitting internet and hd cable signals and when replaced with the correct splitter all has been well with both HD and internet for him.
Old 10-03-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Coolness. I'm excited to get my HDTV. Is it really worth it? I'm hoping Comcast can match WOW's prices here in the Metro-Detroit area....
I just hope WOW will get HD in the Metro-Detroit area soon. I can't afford Comshaft's prices for HD right now.
Old 10-03-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by steebo777
I just hope WOW will get HD in the Metro-Detroit area soon. I can't afford Comshaft's prices for HD right now.
It's only the extra $5 for the convertor box, unless you have your own....
Old 10-04-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DJ_Longfellow
It's only the extra $5 for the convertor box, unless you have your own....
Do you still have to get the digital cable?
Old 10-05-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally posted by Goblincat
Do you still have to get the digital cable?
Comcast's customer service people are often contradictory on this, but from my understanding you do not need to sign up for digital cable in order to get the HD box, which will allow you to receive the major networks' HD channels (NBC, ABC, & PBS).

However, you will need to sign up for digital cable in order to get some of the other HD channels like ESPN, INHD, HBO, etc.
Old 10-05-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
Comcast's customer service people are often contradictory on this, but from my understanding you do not need to sign up for digital cable in order to get the HD box, which will allow you to receive the major networks' HD channels (NBC, ABC, & PBS).

However, you will need to sign up for digital cable in order to get some of the other HD channels like ESPN, INHD, HBO, etc.

That is not necessarly true, I guess it depends where you live. I do not have digital cable just the basic. For the extra $5 box rental I will get 4 HD channels - ABC - ESPN - INHD - INHD2.
Old 10-07-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just curious....they are coming out to hook up my HDTV box tomorrow. Do they hook it up with component cables? How does it all hook up? Digital Sound?

If so, do they provide the cables, or will I need to go buy some?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-03, 02:03 PM

they hooked mine up with component cables. the cables also have audio connected. the installer just connected everything(a/v) directly to the tv. I had to supply my own optical cable in order to take advantage of the 5.1 on some of the programming.
Old 10-07-03, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by DJ_Longfellow
Just curious....they are coming out to hook up my HDTV box tomorrow. Do they hook it up with component cables? How does it all hook up? Digital Sound?

If so, do they provide the cables, or will I need to go buy some?

Thanks!
They tried to hook mine up with a coax cable to the HDTV. I had to show them how to use the component cables which I had purchased.
Old 10-07-03, 10:20 PM

Comcast sucks ! They were supposed to have me hooked up last Tuesday. Last Tuesday they sent a guy that didn't know what he was doing and he left after trying 2 different boxes in 30 minutes. They never came back or called so I had to make another appointment for last Friday. Last Friday 3 people came out and spent over an hour scratching their heads and trying another box. They finaly took a reading at the source by the street and said I wasn't get a strong enough signal. They said something needed to be replaced and put in a work order for today. By 4 pm today I still didn't have any HD signals so I called to see if they came and did the work outside. The lady on the phone said a work order was filled. When I complained and told her the story and how I didn't have HD yet she put me on hold. She came back 5 minutes later and said they needed to send another for repairs. Well duh! She couldn't tell me when the new crew will show up or if they know what they really need to do to get me hooked up. Between cable and high speed internet they already get $83 a month out of me. They better get on the ball or take the chance of me moving to sattalite and dsl and never giving them a dime again.
Old 10-08-03, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a few problems with the Comcast HD box myself. I had done alot of research on AVS forums so I knew what to expect. The guy wanted to hook it up through coax, so I just told him to let me do it haha. He was clueless. He also didn't have any component cables so I had to use some of mine, although I got them to credit my bill for the cost. After some other hassles it was all hooked up and working perfectly. The HD looked beautiful. But I realized a couple months later that I barely watch tv, only dvds. So I had my digital cable cancelled and hardly miss it. I would cancel regular cable if it wasn't for the good HBO shows.
Old 10-08-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know how mine goes this afternoon. They better bring me component cables or i'm going to be upset. I guess I'll need to buy an optical cable also.

Also, what programs are in 5.1? Any sports or just movies? I'm only getting the basic HDTV channels, unless they offer me a sweet deal on HBO or something like that

****EDIT****

JUST GOT IT INSTALLED!
Yeah, I finally have cable again. He did bring the component cables also, although he only brought your regualr RCA for audio. Luckily, I had a Optical cable lying around, and I plugged that into my receiver. Seems cool thus far....haven't really done much yet. I wanted to see if my Internet worked....and it does, although my router is not working....odd.

Oh well, things seem good. Do I really need the RCA's plugged in along with my Optical???

Thanks

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 10-08-03 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-08-03, 09:54 PM

Oh well, things seem good. Do I really need the RCA's plugged in along with my Optical???

Thanks [/B][/QUOTE]

On your question I might be wrong but without it you would have to turn on your reciever to get sound. With the RCA's plugged in you can still get sound without the reciever on which if the station wasn't broadcasting 5.1 saves having the reciever heating up and using electricity.

On my problem above I called and bitched again today. After switching me to 3 different people on the phone they finaly admitted they couldn't fix the problem yesterday. The technition is turning it over to a more qualifyed tech who they don't know when will come over and fix it. For all my problems the lady on the phone said she would knock the cable tv part of my bill in half for 3 months. That's cool but I still want my HD now.
Old 10-11-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my HDTV decoder box installed a few weeks ago, and I'm lovin' it! Also, with Comcast in the Boston area, I just narrowed my menu down to the local channels, plus the HDTV channels, and I lowered my bill from $49 a month to $19.95!

And, I got a bit spoiled because right after I got it NESN started broadcasting some things on one of the hi-def channels, and I got to watch the last couple of regular season Red Sox games in hi-def---nirvana!!! It's a bit of a letdown now to watch the playoffs on the non hi-def broadcasts from Fox (in that they aren't filmed in hi-def).

I think they're also going to be broadcasting Bruins games in pure hi-def, too. Can't wait for that.

I do love those hi-def nature documentary shows they show on the INHD channels, too---mesmerizing.

Oh, and speaking of this, here's the Boston lineup:

http://www.comcast-ne.com/hdtv.html

Does anyone know why there's no CBS hi-def channel?

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 10-11-03 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-11-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ky-Fi
IAnd, I got a bit spoiled because right after I got it NESN started broadcasting some things on one of the hi-def channels, and I got to watch the last couple of regular season Red Sox games in hi-def---nirvana!!! It's a bit of a letdown now to watch the playoffs on the non hi-def broadcasts from Fox (in that they aren't filmed in hi-def).

The Red Sox games that were broadcast on INHD (licensed from NESN) were high definition. I don't believe any of the ESPN games were.

ESPN has by far the worst high definition channel. About 99% of their programming is standard def 4:3 material that has been stretched sideways to fill a 16:9 TV, and it looks like crap. They have almost no actual HD content.

Does anyone know why there's no CBS hi-def channel?
Comcast and CBS are at an impass in their HD negotiations. They've been at it for quite a long time. Rumors are that Comcast may pick up CBS-HD at the end of the year, though they said that last year also.
Old 10-11-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info, Josh Z.

And I totally agree with you about the lame ESPN HD channel. They had something on their website that explained why they stretched all their 4:3 stuff--something about keeping standards consistent for advertising? I don't know, none of the other HD channels stretch their 4:3 stuff.

I've been quite impressed with the HD content I've seen. I like the fact that New England Chronicle on 5 is in HD, I'm enjoying the HD Tonight Show (though I'd prefer to see Letterman), and PBS has quite a bit of good stuff.
Old 10-13-03, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can the box be hooked up via DVI? I was hoping to go that route although I'm sure I'd have to provide the cable.
Old 10-13-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ky-Fi
And I totally agree with you about the lame ESPN HD channel. They had something on their website that explained why they stretched all their 4:3 stuff--something about keeping standards consistent for advertising? I don't know, none of the other HD channels stretch their 4:3 stuff.

It's a bunch of nonsense. There's no good reason for the stretch. People have suggested that writing letters to the ESPN sports anchors telling them how bloated and fat they look when stretched on the HD channel might appeal to their vanity and get them to apply pressure to management. It's worth a shot.

I've been quite impressed with the HD content I've seen. I like the fact that New England Chronicle on 5 is in HD,

Chronicle is not always HD, just selected episodes.

Originally posted by BSTNFAN
Can the box be hooked up via DVI? I was hoping to go that route although I'm sure I'd have to provide the cable.
The Moto 5100 box has a DVI output, but it is not currently enabled. Most likely that will happen next year.
Old 10-13-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
[B
The Moto 5100 box has a DVI output, but it is not currently enabled. Most likely that will happen next year. [/B]
I was afraid of that. Why wouldn't they just enable it now? I guess, I'll have to go component until then.
Old 10-13-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BSTNFAN
I was afraid of that. Why wouldn't they just enable it now?
I'm not sure what their exact reasoning is, but Comcast cites "technical difficulties". I think most likely the box will need a firmware upgrade, and Motorola hasn't supplied one that meets their requirements.
Old 10-14-03, 11:23 PM

Comcast still sucks! It has been 2 weeks now and today they made their sixth trip out here in that time and I still don't have working HDTV. They can't figure out how to get a strong enough signal from the source to get me going. I am about ready to give up!
Old 10-30-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had Comcast HDTV for a week now and other than the missing locals (CBS/WB/UPN) am really enjoying it. Quick question:

What should I set the output of the box (Motorola 5100) to be for non-HD material and why? The options are 480i and 480p and my TV is a Mits 65413. Does having the box upconvert to 480p improve anything? The TV doesn't appear to care which one it gets.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.