Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

16:9 Compatible ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-03, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16:9 Compatible ?

Hi there...Pros..I need some help.

I have a Optoma EzPro615H XGA 1250 ANSI Lumen LCD Projector.

Uptil now I have been using it with the 4:3 setting, now my question is that:

It says it is 16:9 Compatible, so that means it will crop the top and bottom (black bars) off the widescreen movies right.

Now if I use a Anamorphic DVD and tell my dvd player to set at 16:9 and then the projector to set at the same, will the projector just crop the top and bottam off or will it use the whole resolution of the DVD to project the anamorphic image.

Cause as you know if it JUST Crops the top and bottom off and not use the extra resolution ( in anamorphic dvd) to display the wide screen image then I won't play with the setting but if it does use the extra resolution then its worth it right?

Also would a progressive scan dvd player give me better resolution with this projector (it does not have component hook up only S-Video and RGB I'm using S-Video)
Old 09-16-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will display the full resolution of the DVD. That's what you want. Progressive scan won't do anything for you as your projector is not PS capable. PS only works via component on an HDTV type of display, since you only have SVideo, it's obviously not PS capable.

Set everything to 16:9, and you'll be happy.
Old 09-16-03, 11:46 AM

Thanks.. I'll try that today, hope I see a difference...
Old 09-16-03, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by renaldow
It will display the full resolution of the DVD. That's what you want. Progressive scan won't do anything for you as your projector is not PS capable. PS only works via component on an HDTV type of display, since you only have SVideo, it's obviously not PS capable.
This is incorrect. ALL computer-display devices are progressive scan. That technology itself was on computer monitors, video cards, and other display devices long before it became a "catchphrase" in home theater. It's the "native format" of computer output/display devices. This includes the aforementioned, and all other LCD or DLP projectors (except for non-HDTV CRT-based units).

Further, PS is not an "HDTV via component" only format (as per the notation above). Note that the following types of outputs/inputs support progressive scan:

Component
RGB
DVI

As for the progressive-scan quality issue -> *IF* the PS DVD player you intend to get has better de-interlacing than the projector, then yes, it will give you a better picture than if you had just let the projector itself de-interlace the DVD signal (afaik, almost all multimedia projectors have some form of de-interlacing built-in, but only a few are starting to use Faroudja DCDi [or the like] chips).

Since your projector does not have an actual component input, you will need to get a component->RGB cable to connect the PS DVD player to the projector. You will have to find out if the projector can actually "recognize" a component signal fed through the RGB. Some progectors require a transcoder to translate the component signal to an RGB signal.

Also, depending on the above (feeding the projector a true component signal or a component-converted-to-RGB signal), the projector may NOT have the capability to bypass its internal de-interlacer. Some projectors will automatically bypass their internal de-interlacer when a signal comes in on the RGB input, but not when it comes in on the component input.
Old 09-17-03, 08:56 AM

hi guys...

I tried what you said at home on the PJ and DVD player, I changed the DVD setting to 16:9 and the PJ setting to the same, now I have a 50" TV also connected, to the same DVD player so you know what happened,

I had both the PJ and the TV on at the same time to see the difference, the TV displayed the 16:9 image as it were full screen ( I understand that since the sides are getting cut out cause the TV is 4:3) but the funny thing is that the PJ was projecting in as WS but the same amount of picture is shown as the TV, ( I paused the image and checked it)

So really is was not showing the whole picture I was using Monsters Inc.

whats with this?
Old 09-17-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try it again and look closer. I'm willing to bet that the TV's image is squeezed in from the sides to make it fit and everything looks tall and skinny. If the image is not distorted then your TV must have a 16:9 vertical compression mode that makes it act like a 16:9 display. Using you example of Monsters Inc; that movie has a 1.85:1 AR so you should only have very small black bars if they aren't hidden by overscan. If the bars are larger on the TV when the player is set to output to a 4:3 TV then your TV has the 16:9 mode. If the bars are the same size regardless of the player's setting then the image must be squished when the player is set to 16:9.