Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Problem with JVC TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Problem with JVC TV

Got an older (about 8-9 years old) JVC 37" TV. It is part of the older Compu-Link line. It has worked well for us (after moving it across country 4 years ago, it did require a minor repair as something did come loose).

Anyway, it now will just randomly turn itself off. Then between a few seconds and up to a minute later, will turn itself back on. On occasion, but not always, I can turn it back on manually.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? If it was a computer, I'd say it was a power supply problem.

The TV is to big and heavy to take in for repairs. I have to have someone come to look at it and give an estimate to repair. Of course that means a minimum of $100.00 just to find out what the problem is.

Any TV repairs dudes out there give me a clue what the problem is so maybe I could get a rough phone estimate before havingsomeone come out?
Old 03-02-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well after sitting in my garage since Sept, I finally took this TV in (it actually a 35"). I couldn't decide if it was worth taking in or not. But found an authorized dealer who would evaluate it for free.

The guy said it is obvously a power supply problem (hey good guess on my part). Gave me a max estimate of $250.00 so getting it fixed. Will take 7-10 days, but I'm in no hurry now that I got a 32" sitting in it's place.

The guy said that there was no doubt that it was worth fixing as it was a nice, generally reliable TV. He could have been selling me a bill of goods. However, they also sell TV's so he could have just as easy tried to sell me a new TV.
Old 03-02-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Sdallnct
Well after sitting in my garage since Sept, I finally took this TV in (it actually a 35"). I couldn't decide if it was worth taking in or not. But found an authorized dealer who would evaluate it for free.

The guy said it is obvously a power supply problem (hey good guess on my part). Gave me a max estimate of $250.00 so getting it fixed. Will take 7-10 days, but I'm in no hurry now that I got a 32" sitting in it's place.

The guy said that there was no doubt that it was worth fixing as it was a nice, generally reliable TV. He could have been selling me a bill of goods. However, they also sell TV's so he could have just as easy tried to sell me a new TV.
I am really of the mind that a significant repair bill like that might be better suited towards a new TV, especially one with at least S-Video or better yet component input.
Old 03-02-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DVD Josh
I am really of the mind that a significant repair bill like that might be better suited towards a new TV, especially one with at least S-Video or better yet component input.
It was a close call. The set does have multiple inputs including S-video. No componet which is a bummer, but with the S-video, I figured it was worth getting fixed. It actually has more inputs then the brand new 32" JVC I just bought.

This repaired unit will likely be a bedroom set. Or perhaps I will use it as our main tv till I decide LCD or DLP RP for the living room.