Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DTS Problem on Kenwood HTB-505

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-03, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Kenwood HTB-505 home theater system. It has Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS and so does my DVD player. Whenever I play a movie in DTS the DTS light on the reciever does not turn on and the Pro Logic light stays on. I can still hear the sound though which leads me to believe that the receiver is working properly because if the DTS wasn't on I don't think you are able to hear the sound from a DVD with the DTS track on. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas that are helpful I would appreciate it.
Old 06-21-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you should have an audio button or some way to change the audio on your receiver. you are hearing dolby prologic not the dts track. You will see DTS on the receiver when you are playing the DTS signal.

Do you have the manual since that should also tell you how to switch to DTS.
Old 06-22-03, 11:48 PM

The manual says nothing about a button to switch between modes. It is supposed to switch automatically I believe.
Old 06-23-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is your dvd player connected to the receiver with some type of digital output (coax or optical) and is the player configured to output a digital bitstream signal?
Old 06-23-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On most titles you have to manually select the DTS track from the disc's menu. Have you done that? Also, on some DVD players you have to enable DTS from the DVD player's setup menu (only necessary once).

You mention that the "Pro Logic" light is on...did you mean Dolby Digital? If it's defaulting to Pro Logic then it sounds like you are not getting a digital signal...if you are using a digital cable (optical or coax) then:

* check the receiver settings (as suggested above)
* ensure the receiver input you are using is assigned to digital
* ensure the DVD player is set to output Dolby Digital and DTS (from player setup menu)
Old 06-23-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

let me piggy back on this thread... my dad has the same system and he can not get the dolby digital or dts to work as well. He only gets pro logic 2 for dvd setting. I have not had a chance to look at it yet, but when i do.. which inputs should the receiver be using to get DD/DTS sound? From what my dad saidit has a dvd/cd input and a direct dvd input on the back with a connection for each chanel.
I think he is tryign to use the regualr AV cable. All i should need is a set of component cables going in to the cd/dvd input, right?
Old 06-23-03, 01:47 PM

I have the sound connected with a optical cable and the digital input light is on and not the analog so I know it is going in digital. And it is the pro logic light that is always on and not the dolby digital.
I have contacted kenwood about it but I have not received a response yet. When I do I will post their response.

And in case it makes any difference, although I don't think it does, my DVD player is a PS2. Perhaps there are some known problems with PS2s.

Last edited by asherrd; 06-23-03 at 01:49 PM.