Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

CC (closed caption) on DVD player question

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-31-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 dvd players... The Toshiba (3 years old) and Apex 1500. The Toshiba player can display CC fine, but the Apex 1500 can't! I used the same dvd movie on the players... Also, I did turn on the caption on/off for the APex player (the main menu has this option). What did I do wrong? or what didn't i do? thanks advance for the help...
Old 03-31-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like you answered your own question.

See you in the DVD Hardware forum.

Old 03-31-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so, why the Apex 1500 doesn't do CC??? I did turn the Caption to ON on the Apex player...
Old 04-01-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wow. nobody uses CC here?? I haven't been checking for the answers for the entire day...
Old 04-01-03, 07:25 PM
Rest in Peace

The reason I use cc is to see the actual words of a singer is singing. Their are so many Rock single, groups, and concerts that you thought you knew what was being sung; but you were dead wrong. I am sometimes surprised how close I was, but the words being sung must be correctly spelled to be understood.

Not getting laughed at while singing it outloud along with your radio, is another possibility I choose to avoid LOL.

The only cable channel I have cc on since their is no sound coming from the tinny sounding TV speakers, is a weather channel, a waste on your PQ speakers.
Old 04-02-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a known bug with the Apex 1500 and CC. You are experiencing it. You might want to contact Apex and see if they have a fix for it, but last I heard their thought on the matter was, "Just turn on subtitles" which of course aren't the same thing.

Sorry to have to post bad news, but at least I can confirm that there is a genuine problem.
Old 04-02-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the responses and answers... i asked a friend of mines to try it on his Apex player, apparently he experienced the same thing. anyway... the reason i asked is that not all dvds have English subtitles, e.g. Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Oz etc... (get the idea?) However, all of the mentioned dvds do have CC signals encoded (that's why my Toshiba player can display the CC).