Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

RCA F38310 2001 model, how long will a tube HDTV Last?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-02-03, 12:44 AM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my F38310 on since it was purchased in June of 2001, so far absolutely no problems. I was lurking up at AVS forum and seen that their poll list 30 of out of 37 that particpated have had no problems with their sets.

I would like to find out your opinions about how long this Performax tube and chassis power will hold out. I have never used the 'built' in Direct TV. I am told this is the same 'tube' in the German Loewe Acconda with price tag of $5,000. I keep the fan running 24 hours a day and their are 3 fans running when the set is on. I have the set on about 10 hours a day 7 days a week. I've a 5 year warranty 2 years are gone, 3 years are left.

All who see it in operation *love* the performance of Direct View over Plasma or RPTV, my apartment won't take too much larger than what I have. I don't intend to buy HD-DVD costly equipment, red laser DVD is good enough for me. I am looking to see how long this PQ Direct TV will last. It has more pixels than the most expensive plasma has, 1280 X 1080= 1,382,400 pixels! Responses welcome.

Last edited by danol; 04-03-03 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-02-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You know then that the F38310 is known for having problems. The tube will be okay, but the powersupply will go. It seems some of these sets go on for a long time with no problems, so maybe that is more telling. Your's is old enough to have shown it's problems.

Still, even fans die at some point.
Old 04-02-03, 06:19 PM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Randy C.

Randy you got that right fans do die from running 24 hours a day. I just did a service menu check all came back as OK, odometer is showing 17,001 model is JX4.

Randy I think I would buy it all over again even if the price was the one I paid which was $2,999.(no tax) I got a RC6000P Progressive Scan DVD player as my rebate back in 2001 when it was worth $599. I gave to my parents and I had a hard time getting them to understand how the simple to me and you, but not folks up in their 80's ease of use!

P.S. Now if they would only return the discs on time, I am not a rental store LOL.

Last edited by danol; 04-02-03 at 06:22 PM.