Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD-A/SACD and good progressive picture?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-03, 11:58 AM
colossus

Well, as mentioned in other threads, the Panasonic DVD RP82 is no more.

I was hoping that I could get SACD capability (damn you, Pink Floyd) onto my system by buying another DVD player but most all DVD-A/SACD players (notably Pioneer Elite) have chroma bugs and all those other problems associated with crummy video chipsets. And my current Toshiba SD5700 also has a crummy video chipset.

Does anybody have a recommendation on a player that does DVD-A and SACD, along with a decent (Genesis FLI2200, Silicon Image, etc) chipset? At this point I really don't care about price anymore, anything under $1000. I've only got a single 5.1 analog input on my receiver for the DVD-A and SACD.

Thanks!!!
Old 03-31-03, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, at under $1K, you have 3 choices. you have the pioneer elite DV45A, the pioneer elite DV47Ai, and the yamaha dvds2300. (prices are: $500, $1000, and $1000).

i own the 45a, and its great. uses pioneer elite's own progressive chip, but its MUCH better than the last one, and its VERY good. the yamaha uses DCDi.
Old 03-31-03, 12:36 PM
colossus

Originally posted by cowanrg
well, at under $1K, you have 3 choices. you have the pioneer elite DV45A, the pioneer elite DV47Ai, and the yamaha dvds2300. (prices are: $500, $1000, and $1000).

i own the 45a, and its great. uses pioneer elite's own progressive chip, but its MUCH better than the last one, and its VERY good. the yamaha uses DCDi.
Your 45a doesn't have the chroma bug? Does this test refer to an older model then? If so, any idea how I can tell them apart? Any links to a review of your newer model?

Thanks a million, and then some
Old 03-31-03, 02:35 PM

to tell you the truth, i have heard some bad things about the video section from the 45a, but i have tested it numerous times with multiple tv's.

i have the luxury of taking one off the shelf, getting whatever cables i need, and plugging it into a widescreen sony xbr, panasonic HDTV tube, mitsubishi diamond, pioneer elite rear-projection, or just about any plasma/lcd made...

i tested this one thoroughly (i dont buy unless im CERTAIN its what i want). although im more into audio than i am video, this passed with flying colors in my book. it has been bashed quite a bit, and praised just as much if not more. i am in the praise category. i have seen its output, and it is good.

the yamaha is nice too. between the yamaha and the 47ai, go with the yamaha because of video. the 47ai is better audio, and better interface/controls (and looks better), but the video suffers a bit IMO.

but on a budget, you CAN NOT beat the 45a. it is the ONLY universal under $1K.
Old 03-31-03, 04:33 PM
colossus

Originally posted by cowanrg
to tell you the truth, i have heard some bad things about the video section from the 45a, but i have tested it numerous times with multiple tv's.
but on a budget, you CAN NOT beat the 45a. it is the ONLY universal under $1K.
OK, that clears things up a bit. Thanks for the advice
Old 03-31-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wait for the New Denon 2900 coming in may...it's gonna be the king of the do it all players, featuring a faroujda chip and NO CHROMA BUG! Should be around $800-900 for release.
Old 03-31-03, 09:22 PM

could someone please explain what this "chroma" bug is? and why its SO bad? ive heard SO much about it, but only online, and from non-professional (read: realiable) sources...
Old 03-31-03, 10:26 PM
Registered

Here's a good link to info on the Chroma Bug
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ug-4-2001.html
Old 04-01-03, 11:12 AM
colossus

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
Wait for the New Denon 2900 coming in may...it's gonna be the king of the do it all players, featuring a faroujda chip and NO CHROMA BUG! Should be around $800-900 for release.
Outstanding...I'll start saving my beans now!!