Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Newbie sub problem (HELP NEEDED)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-03, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just made the jump from 2.0 to 5.0 last week, after waiting forever (OK, about a year) . WOW. I was so hyped that I wanted to add the .1 instantly, but on a limited budget. I thought I'd found a good deal on a reburbished sub that came in yesterday. Its an AR s108ps 120W, 8". Anyway its reviews on audioreview are really good, but I don't know if I got a bad sub or if my receiver is just not set correctly. It sounds muddy with hit and miss bass at low volumes. I've got it connected to the sub-out on the receiver and the sub level is set to 0 (On a -15 to +15 scale). I don't think I'm overpowering it, but I really have no experience with subs. Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Last edited by westerbergrules; 03-27-03 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-28-03, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your re-directing some bass from your other speakers to the sub (setting speakers to small) you may need to adjust the crossover level of the bass re-direction to a lower level. Some subs don't like/handle having higher frequencies sent to them and can cause some distortion. Try setting the sub crossover to around 80Hz or less and see if that helps.
Old 03-28-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Assuming the muddiness isn’t inherent to the design of the sub, there are 3 interrelated factors that can contribute to the bass bloat: crossover setting, volume setting, and room placement. Beyond lowering the crossover point (if possible), you might also try calibrating the sub volume with one of the calibration discs (e.g. Avia, Sound & Vision, etc.) and a sound pressure meter. The channel volume for the sub (on your receiver menu) may be too high. If lowering the crossover and/or volume do not solve the problem, experiment with different placements in the room.

WRT the “hit and miss” issue. If by this you mean the sub only seems to produce bass sometimes, you may need to change the speaker settings in the setup menu of your receiver. It could be that the sub is only receiving the LFE (low frequency effects) signal. You may need to set the speakers to small (or large if appropriate) and the sub to receive LFE + the left /right channels. Options and terminology vary across receivers; if you aren’t familiar with the setup options on your receiver consult the manual.

You didn’t mention how you have the sub connected. If you have connected the sub via the speaker wire terminals, then make sure you have the speakers connected from the speaker outputs on the sub rather than directly from the receiver.