Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Describing your experience the first time you watched a dvd movie on your new toy

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Describing your experience the first time you watched a dvd movie on your new toy

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-03, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have just purchased a widescreen RPTV, have calibrated it using either Avia or Video essentials and
are about to watch your first dvd movie on it--akin to
christening a ship with a champaign bottle.

1) What movie did you use for your christening--I mean for your first viewing and why?
2) Describe your thoughts and first impressions about the RPTV as the movie was playing on your new toy and of course, what RPTV model was it. As the movie played, Did you "know" immediately that you made the right decision regarding the set?

I'll be able to answer my own question(s) in a month or two when I get my first widescreen RPTV.
Old 02-05-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i see you get around!
Old 02-05-03, 03:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I think someone needs a date.
Old 02-05-03, 05:23 PM

I thought this question looked [cough]HTF[cough] familiar.
Old 02-05-03, 09:44 PM

I thought this question looked [cough]HTF[cough] familiar.
Yeah, me ... *cough* ... too!

j/k Dale! It's a good thread, worthy of a multiple-forum chat.

As for my answer....I'm still waiting a few more days for my 50" "Toy" to arrive.

The Waiting...
The Torture...
The Stress of the wait...
The Pain of Anticipation.

A side-bar inquiry to this.......How long did you have to wait for your RPTV after its initial purchase? 16 days here. Oh, well, just gives one something really special to look forward to.

Now....I can't decide whether to first watch my VHS Full-Frame Mono copy of Blood Sucking Freaks, or perhaps opt for Airport '79--The Concorde (Mono; FF; VHS).

Last edited by davidvp; 02-05-03 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-05-03, 10:34 PM

Not everyone reads all the HT forums; it just seems like it.

-Dale

Last edited by dale001; 02-05-03 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-05-03, 11:01 PM

"I think someone needs a date"

with Mastercard in about two weeks<g>.

"i see you get around!"

True, but there's no truth to the rumor that I was the one that
rounded-up all the Panny RP82s and am selling their non-English language owner manuals or their styrofoam packaging on eBay--grin.

Last edited by dale001; 02-05-03 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-06-03, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by davidvp
A side-bar inquiry to this.......How long did you have to wait for your RPTV after its initial purchase? 16 days here. Oh, well, just gives one something really special to look forward to.

Once I decided on which one I was getting, I found the cheapest company online ($2400 + $300 shipping), had a retail store match the $2400 (after tax and no shipping!) in Denver, 2 hours south. 20 minutes later, I was renting an F-150 and driving down to Denver to pick it up and bring it back.

All in all, I spent 30 minutes renting the truck, 20 minutes buying cargo tiedowns (haven't used them since), 4 hours total driving time, and 30 minutes picking it up at their warehouse (they loaded it on the truck for me).

So, I waited about 5-6 hours.
Old 02-06-03, 01:55 AM

Oh yeah. With the truck rental and gas expense, I still saved $1000 over Best Buys price. It's a 61" 4:3 Sony HiScan RP. Got it in perfect time for the Avs to win the Stanley Cup few years back.
Old 02-06-03, 08:47 AM

Galdiator was my first choice for my new 64" Pioneer HDTV. Bought it on-line with now problems. Could not find locally anywhere. Delivery took about two weeks or so--possibly a bit more but not much. Simply superb right out of the box.

Reaction -- just like a kid with a fantastic new toy that he had dreamed about forever. When coupled with my Klipsch/Onkyo/Pardigm(sub) DD5.1 system it literally takes you to another deminsion. Just a great experience--I love it and have not looked back.

Good luck to you on your new acquistion--ENJOY!!!
Old 02-06-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When I got my new Mits 55", the first movie we watched was U-571. It was truly a religious experience.
Old 02-07-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6 months after i had bought my first rptv, i got in on a great deal on a business projector...and spent 2 nervous weeks worrying and wondering whether they would honour the price and actually ship it.
it had gone from being a highly reccommended pj for a little over $3500 to being forum-burning steal at under $1800.
even though i hadn't gotten a tracking number yet, i decided to go ahead and build my screen for it one night (basically a huge stretched canvas).
i hung it on the wall and sat alone, in silence in the room staring at it as my imagination unspooled scenes from all my favorite films.

i don't even remember what dvd i played on it first.
i still didn't have the rp sold yet, and i needed to change the orientation of all the equipement and build a frame around the screen, etc..
for the first 40 hours or so, i would just hook it up to the s-video of my interlaced player and watch scenes from all my discs- without any sound.
i was still transfixed and would log hours at a time like that.

actually now, i do remember the first film i finally sat down to watch start to finish, with all the audio hooked up- it was King Kong ('76).
this would have been sept. 9 2001...
2 days later and for a weeks after, i had a hard time mustering any enthusiasm to enjoy my 'toys'.

enjoy the days ahead...the anticipation is treat in itself