Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Getting a Honda Pilot with DVD, will it be 5.1?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first salesman I talked to said yes. The salesman I bought from said no, that it just had Dolby like stereos have had for years. I was looking in the brochure (mine had to be ordered & they didn't have any w/ entertainment systems at the dealer) and the dvd says Dolby Digital with the logo on it. I know there can be DD mono, but shouldn't this mean it is 5.1? Maybe he saw Dolby & thought it was the old thing- he said he knew nothing about 5.1, etc.? The system has 7 speakers including a subwoofer so it should be capable. It should be really cool. It comes with 2 wireless headphones, plus jacks for 3 more, rca-ins for PS2 & XBOX! Looks like the wife will have to drive more so I can ride in back with the kids!
Old 01-13-03, 11:26 PM

I seriously doubt that your Pilot is Dobly Digital 5.1. DD comes in a lot of different formats like DD 2.0 or Dobly Surround, etc. For it to be a true 5.1 system it must have:

1. a center channel
2. L/R speakers
3. 2 back surround speakers
4. a subwoofer capable of receiving LFE (low frequency effects) from the receiver

I think the salesman means Dobly Surround not Dobly Digital 5.1
Old 01-14-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a very nice HT system so I'm aware what a 5.1 system is. Don't most cars have front & rear left & rights? My minivan does. Plus our Camry has a center speaker in the front. And I said the Pilot has 7 speakers, including a subwoofer. So it does have front & rear (L & R) most likely a front center, and definitely a subwoofer. And I said the salesman didn't think it was 5.1, but the brochure shows a picture of the system & it has the Dolby Digital logo(not the lame ass Dolby logo ][ ), which made me think it might be. But thanks for clarifying (and numbering) for me what a 5.1 system is. I would think because of the exact positioning & closeness, a large car would have ideal 5.1 sound.
Old 01-14-03, 11:43 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

El Kabong,

Take a look in the forums at www.odyclub.com, you may find your answer there. It's for Honda Odysseys, but since the Pilot is built on the same platform it should have the same system. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a similar site for Pilots.
Old 01-14-03, 12:36 PM

http://www.dolby.com/in-car/ . Lots of good info and product links to DD 5.1 equipment.
Old 01-14-03, 09:57 PM

El, I didn't mean to speak little of your HT knowledge. I just wanted to describe the basics of DD 5.1 for comparison purposes.

And congrats on your Pilot if you do decide to buy it.
Old 01-14-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No problem. We already ordered it & should get it in about 2 weeks. No place has them in stock & ones with the dvd have to be factory ordered. It should be sweet. I'm not holding my breath that it is 5.1, but it would be nice. The Dolby Digital logo has me hoping, but it could just be standard for any dvd player. I'll post when I get it. It looks like it has a cd player and a seperate dvd player in the front dash, plus another dvd player (or at least a disc slot that maybe works with the other player) in the second row in the screen console that comes down. So with the wireless headphones, the front & back can listen to seperate audio. Gone are the days of the Walkman & handheld Mattel Football.
Old 01-16-03, 01:40 AM

Your gonna love your Pilot. My parents got one of the first ones and absolutely love it.
Old 01-16-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've heard good things about Pilots. Btw, this thread was my inspiration to prank call my friend at work. (She works at a car dealer) So I called up asking where my car was, and if I was getting the DVD package with the 5.1 surround sound. It went on for a bit, and I kept getting more and more quirky..I wanted to see how long she'd last before she yelled at me, or called my bluff.

It was amusing.

-pedagogue

ps. And for the record, Buick doesn't have a DVD system with 5.1 surround in their Regal GS....which does come in blue, but you can't get hydrolics either. Doh!
Old 01-16-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am looking at picking up a new Pilot....you will have to let me know what you think..
Old 02-07-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally picked it up today in 6" of snow. The sound isn't 5.1, but it definitely has some nice side-to-side panning. I tried a Dvd-A & it played fine (in stereo). The screen is 16x9 & it looks really nice. I popped in Blue Crush & cranked it to check it out. It gets incredibly loud and the wireless headphones sound great too. The car itself drives great. Looks like I'll have to look for car lighter adapters for my PS2 & Xbox now. Do they sell those anywhere?
Old 02-07-03, 10:08 PM

sure just get you one of these.. it hooks up to the cig lighter, there are a bunch of brands, this is just the first one that popped up..

Power Inverter