Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

remote help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote help

I am interested in buying a programmable, learning remote with configurable, backlit buttons. On top of controlling all the HT devices, I'd also like to configure it to dim lights, control electric shades, have thermostat control, and possibly control a gas fireplace(currently controlled by RF, not IR).

Where is a good place to start looking? Since I'll need to control at least 10 devices, what are my options? Is there a remote made to do this, or should I buy a ipaq and if so, what software? Whats a good website to give me suggestions? I tried remotecentral, but it was a bit over my head. Also, any estimates on price? I'd like to get the remote for less that $200, but I'd rather have a remote that does everything than a cheaper, limited one.
Old 01-31-03, 05:32 PM

Are the RF functions you refer to X10 by any chance? Or one of the other home automation powerline signaling protocols?

I use an X10 8-in-1 Learning Remote Model UR24A but it is not listed for sale on their site anymore. Just a 5-In-1 model, that's not gonna work for you. Look at the 8-In-1 manual, you may be able to find one used or the other Home Automation sites that carry the X10 products.

http://www.smarthome.com/specialremote.html

http://www.smarthome.com/index.html

Last edited by digitalmanAZ; 01-31-03 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-31-03, 11:43 PM

Home Theater Master MX-500. Look no further it's the best!
Old 02-01-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Home Theater Master MX-500.

Check out http://www.surfremotecontrol.com/

http://www.remotecentral.com/
Old 02-03-03, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

anyone have the sony?
http://www.smarthome.com/8037.html $50 and looks like it has slightly more functions thant the HTM MX-500.

I'm not sure I want a hard buttoned remote, with all the touchscreen/LCD options.

Last edited by RoQuEr; 02-03-03 at 02:41 AM.
Old 02-03-03, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

anyone use this? http://www.irclone.com/
Old 02-03-03, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll third the recommendation for the MX-500. It's the best bang for the buck remote out there, period.
Old 02-03-03, 08:28 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll 4th the MX-500. Very easy to setup.

Personally, I prefer backlit hard button remotes. I can easily navigate my remote in one hand without having to physically look at it. The cool factor of touch screen wears off quick. If your going to go touchscreen to automate your whole home, don't go with the sony. Plan on spending more than a few hundred dollars. how much did you want to spend? There are some great touch screens for over $1,000.
Old 02-03-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gotta go with the MX-500. I programmed mine over the weekend and it's a breeze to work with. The true test will come this evening when I teach the wife how to use it.
Old 02-03-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am definately leaning towards the MX-500 now. If only I had 1 or 2 more things I wanted to connect I could justify getting a MX-700 , but not at the moment.

Does anyone know what kind of remote that you see celebrities on TV and movies use? Like the Osbourne remote, or the remote on Belly that also showed his surveillance camera images?
Old 02-15-03, 06:19 PM

I too am in the market for a Remote....I recently purchased A Panasonic 36" HDTV and a Philips progressive scan Q50 dvd player, but the remote from my Kenwood receiver and Panasonic remotes does not work with the Philips Q50?? So, my conclusion is to get a nice universal remote. My big concern is that I am afraid that if I decided to upgrade one of my components in the near future (like receiver) , the new remote might not work with that. So I would like to find one that offers some sort of uplink to update codes for newer components.
Not sure which units do this and which are the best.
Thanks for any help???
Old 02-16-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the advantage of the MX-500 is that it's a learning remote with a lot of memory. Even if it doesn't have a code for a particular component, it only takes a couple of minutes to teach it the codes from your compnent's factory remote. The large amout of memory ensures you have plenty of room to grow.
Old 02-16-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dgc
I'll 4th the MX-500. Very easy to setup.

Personally, I prefer backlit hard button remotes. I can easily navigate my remote in one hand without having to physically look at it. The cool factor of touch screen wears off quick. If your going to go touchscreen to automate your whole home, don't go with the sony. Plan on spending more than a few hundred dollars. how much did you want to spend? There are some great touch screens for over $1,000.
I have to agree with touch screen issue here. I have the Yamaha RAV 2000 which is basically their proprietary version of the Pronto touchscreen. While the convenience of being able to literally design from scratch the touchpanels on your PC is a great thing, it is a pain to have to actually look at the screen everytime you want to do something. So now I basically just fully transferred all my remotes into the RAV2000 and then archived all the commands onto my PC for safekeeping in case my original controllers died. I then picked up a hardbutton programmable Sony RM-VL900 for $60 and use that for everyday use. I only use the Yamaha for those rare cases where there is a seldom used function that I didn't program into the Sony.
Old 02-16-03, 11:48 AM

I'll check out the MX-500 further,
actually I was hoping to hear some other reviews and not so Mx-500 driven...it makes my conscience feel better to know that I checked out several before making a descision. LOL
Old 02-17-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got the Sony RM-AV3000, and I love the thing. I can't buy more stuff, than it can handle. I'll agree, the touchScreen does get a bit old though, and it seems like I"m always cleaning off the screen but I like it none the less.
Old 02-17-03, 04:35 PM

I've had a Philips Pronto Neo, or something to that effect, for about a year and I think it's great, it was around $200 dollars and I have been able to program it to control my ceiling fan and light, another floor fan, basically anything with a remote. One drawback is that in order to change the look of the touchscreen you have to use the software and it wipes out anything that you have taught the remote. Thus, you have to reload macros and junk when you change the button layout.
Old 02-17-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the MX-500 and a Pronto. My Pronto collects dust... I basically only use it to teach my MX-500 discrete codes that aren't on any of my factory remotes.

I used to have the One-For-All URC 8800, but I just really didn't enjoy it anywhere nearly as much as I did my MX-500. It just wasn't as intuitive or customizable. I bought my MX-500 off eBay for a great price. I think the seller is still on there, if you want to e-mail me.

However, if I had it to do over again, I'd have sold my Pronto and bought the MX-700... it's basically an MX-500 that you can hook directly up to a computer (like the Pronto). Plus it comes with a mini-remote that's just neat.
Old 02-17-03, 07:02 PM

One other option is to use the MX-500 with a learning remote with computer hookup, such as the One-For-All URC-8811. It's about $20 more and you can hook that up to your computer and you still have two wicked remotes.

http://www.surfremotecontrol.com/Mer...egory_Code=HTM
Old 02-18-03, 01:17 AM

Another vote for the MX-500, I just love the thing. Forget using the component codes, do the AUX-515 procedure to blank all the buttons and then learn them all individually. Yeah, it takes more time, but you'll end up with a totally custom remote. Even the wife likes it!

I look forward to building a home theater in our new house, that'll be a good reason to get the MX-700 (or whatever their current model is in a year or two).
Old 02-20-03, 04:19 AM
Banned

Copy favorite DVDs to videocassetes

[deleted spam]

Last edited by bfrank; 02-20-03 at 02:56 PM.