Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I need more p-p-power!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I need more p-p-power!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-03, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need more p-p-power!

I need more AMP power!
I have concluded that my mediocre Yamaha HTR5240 (70W/ch. rms) receiver does not have enough juice to feed my Wharfedale Emerald 97 Mk IV floorspeakers (125 W, 6ohm.) After a substancial 3 month break-in period, I now hear severe clipping in my left tower whenever I dial my volume past 10 o'clock!
What do I do? Buy a pre-amp? a new amp? Don't tell me to turn down the volume, that is just not an acceptable solution. I am on a budget here and only want to spend up to $200 to satisfy my hungry speakers. Is that enough to add on some power to my existing setup, or am I ish out of luck? HELP!

center: Wharfedale Modus Music Centre
mains: Wharfedale Emerald 97 Mk IV
rears: RCA Pro-LX55 dipole tweeter 2way spkrs
sub: Sony SA-WM40

receiver: Yamaha HTR5240 (70W/channel)
dvd: Panasonic DVD-RV30
**optical toslink interconnect, mains are biwired 12ga., center and rears are single wired 16ga.
Old 01-15-03, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
You would need to add an additional amp.

If $200 is your budget I would turn the volume down as any amp you could buy for that amount would be of lesser quality than the amp in the receiver you already have.
Old 01-15-03, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. It seems that there is no simple solution unless I spend a bit of money. Just out of curiousity, what would be my best solution? How much would it cost me? What are my other options? I know my home theater stuff pretty extensively when it comes to mid to low-end equipment, but I barely have a clue as to how I would hook up a secondary amp to my receiver. Nothing I've found online helps me either.
Old 01-15-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Just out of curiousity, what would be my best solution? How much would it cost me? What are my other options?
I am not really sure how to help you. I am not really that familiar with those speakers but I have a hard time believing that you are clipping them in that setup unless the volume is at deafening levels. A better receiver or an amp is your only solution. That or turn the volume down.

but I barely have a clue as to how I would hook up a secondary amp to my receiver. Nothing I've found online helps me either
Consult your manual. Here is a link to a similar yamaha receiver. Also check what ohm setting the receiver is on. If it is set to 8 change it to 4.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...540&display=XL

You would connect an amp in the main under 6ch input. Then connect the speakers to the back of the amp, not the receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&vi=tech-data

Your speakers sensitivity is a bit low and the minimum recommended power is 75 watts.

This is why I ALWAYS recommend people choose their speakers before buying a power source.