Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony TV broke - any ideas?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-02, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were watching our 4-year old Sony Trinitron (KV-35S40) this evening when it made a big popping noise and the picture went dark and the sound went off. The TV is plugged into a surge protector and none of the other components were affected, so I believe that the problem is with the TV itself.

When we turn the TV on and off, nothing happens (except the little red light labeled "stand by/timer" on the front of the TV blinks). I can't remember how this light used to behave before.

Since the TV is way to heavy to big into a shop, we are planning on having a TV repairman come to the house. I'd like to have king of an idea what the problem is in advance, if at all possible.

Any help or pointers to other sites would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-28-02, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey Peep, haven't seen you in ages.

Someone once told me that newer TVs only have a life of about five years, but the quality is far better. It's a tradeoff. I'm not sure if this person was full of ****, but it's possible He said when they die, they pop. I had forgotten all about this until you mentioned the popping.
Old 12-28-02, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peep, the same thing happened to my 32" Trinitron a little over a year ago. Something ended up being wrong with the on/off circuitry. (The standby light blinked on mine too.) It cost $125 to fix and my brother-in-law had to help me carry to the van and then to the shop - definitely a heavy monster.
Old 12-28-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
unplug it and hold the power button in for 30 seconds
leave it unplugged for another minute or so
worth a try
Old 12-28-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

unplug it and hold the power button in for 30 seconds
leave it unplugged for another minute or so

Tried that, but no luck.

I guess I'll have to start looking for reapir shops that make house calls.
Old 12-28-02, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

SInce it's a sony, you might be better off replacing it altogether. My 27" Wega's tube went out. LUckily, it was under warranty, but I haven't owned a Sony product since, and probably won't ever again.
Old 12-29-02, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[b]SInce it's a sony, you might be better off replacing it altogether...I haven't owned a Sony product since, and probably won't ever again.[b]

Why do you say that?
Old 01-06-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the repair guy came by and checked it out and ended up bring the chassis back to the shop. I just got off the phone with the shop and they said that the power board needed to be replaced. Including the $120 part, they say that the total repairs will come to about $280.

Is this worth doing on a 4-year old $1100 TV?
Old 01-07-03, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts
4 years / $1100 = $275 a year.

The odds are good that nothing else may go wrong for at least a year after you fix it.

You need to decide if you want to "chance" it (there is no guarantee that something may or may not happen, there just is NO way of knowing) or look at your budget, look at the TV you would want to upgrade to and decide if it is doable or feasible.
Old 01-08-03, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Peep
[B][b]SInce it's a sony, you might be better off replacing it altogether...I haven't owned a Sony product since, and probably won't ever again.

Why do you say that?
I say that just because I haven't heard too many good things about their TVs. A friend of mine works at an electronices shop, and he says that their Sonys give them problem. I think their may be better products out there for a comparable price.
Old 01-08-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts
I have never had a problem with any Sony product, and I have a lot of Sony electronics.
Old 01-08-03, 09:17 PM

My brother owns a 7 year old 27" Sony Trinitron. They too had to get it fixed and its been going strong for the last 3 years. I think the last few posts have been a little too alarmist.
Old 01-09-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I decided to have it fixed and they replaced the part yesterday. Hopefully it will keep working for a little while at least.

Except for the extreme weight of the TV (which made it impossible to take to the shop myself), I really like it. I probably wouldn't replace it with a similar model only because I'll probably go widescreen the next time that I buy one.

Thanks for everybody's opinions!