DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

which RPTVs have the widest viewing range?

Old 12-20-02, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

which RPTVs have the widest viewing range?

just wondering if in anyones experience, a certain brand of rptvs (interested in HDTV models) has a wider viewing "sweet spot" than others. i was sitting in a "high end" shop looking at some sonys that were supposedly ISF calibrated and they looked like crap while standing but if I sat in their chairs they looked super. But stand or scoot to one side and they got that dark, uneven look. I hate to think that unless my wife and I sit in this little marked spot in our living room that our $2500 TV will look awful.

Probably most folks main complaint with rptv.

anyways, any input? I am thinking of going with a 51" Hitachi but havent really seen one under ideal conditions

thanks
Old 12-20-02, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

Most buy their fernel (sp?) lenses from the same vendors so its more about price point the brand. Tighter lense = better off axis viewing.
Old 12-20-02, 08:23 PM
X
Administrator

The vertical off-axis on mine is pretty bad as well, but I don't see any uneven/hot-spots moving to the sides. The entire picture just kind of eventually disappears fairly far to the side. It's a Pioneer Elite.