DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need audio advice

Old 11-26-02, 05:02 PM

Need audio advice

I am thinking about getting an audio system to go along with my TV and DVD player. I am new to speakers and recievers. I tried to read as many posts as I can from this forum as well as other relevant articles that I can find, but I am still having trouble getting started. How should I divide my budget for the receiver and speakers? Which models should I consider for them?

I know that it really depends on what sounds good to me, and I don't mind go demo some system. I just need to get started on knowing what I should go demo.

Any advice would be great.
Jerry

Last edited by jerry4fish; 11-26-02 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-26-02, 05:33 PM

Well, how much $ are we talking about first of all.. this will help us make a better recom.

And rule of thumb, don't spend all your $ on a kick butt receiver and then buy some crappy speakers..
Old 11-26-02, 05:42 PM

Oh yeah, for some reason I forgot to include my budget. I think my budget is at around $1000 right now, give and take a bit.

Jerry
Old 11-26-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would go 1/3 for the receiver and 2/3 for the speakers. If you get quality speakers right off the bat, they should last you well for a long time well after you have upgraded your receiver. Some popular speaker choices are JBL Studio Series, Energy, and PSB (as well as others).

For about $350 bucks there are alot of receiver selections from brands like Pioneer, Onkyo, HK, and Sony. At this price point, performance is very similar as well as feature sets. Some things to look for would be preamp outs on all channels in case you ever want to upgrade to external amplification as well as power that is full audible range rated (20Hz-20kHz).

Let us know a little bit more about the room your equipment will go into.

J
Old 11-26-02, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Master J
I would go 1/3 for the receiver and 2/3 for the speakers. If you get quality speakers right off the bat, they should last you well for a long time well after you have upgraded your receiver. Some popular speaker choices are JBL Studio Series, Energy, and PSB (as well as others).

For about $350 bucks there are alot of receiver selections from brands like Pioneer, Onkyo, HK, and Sony. At this price point, performance is very similar as well as feature sets. Some things to look for would be preamp outs on all channels in case you ever want to upgrade to external amplification as well as power that is full audible range rated (20Hz-20kHz).

Let us know a little bit more about the room your equipment will go into.

J
Thanks for the Advice,
My living room is about 20ft by 15 ft ish. I currently have a old sony DVD player DVP-S550D, and I recently got a Samsung HDTV HLM 507W.

I remember maybe two years ago, I heard good things about the Energy Take 5 for speakers I think it was at around $500 or so. Would that still be a good choice? I am not sure if there are better options now, since it has been awhile that I looked into Speakers.

Thanks
Jerry
Old 11-26-02, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by Master J
"I would go 1/3 for the receiver and 2/3 for the speakers."

It is always suggested that one pay the largest percentage of their dollars on the speakers. I beg to differ. I tend to follow the belief " garbage in garbage out ". In your price range I'd reccomend a Denon 2802/3 or an equivalent Onkyo. Paradigm and PSB's are a good place to start on speakers.

James