Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which is the Best DVD recorder out there?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking into getting a DVD recorder and i am still undecided between the philips and the panasonic. Can anyone help me decide? Or maybe there are better dvd recorders out there?

thanks
Old 11-21-02, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panasonic DMR-T3040 is the professional model that is identical to the consumer model DMR-HS2. You can buy it onluine for almost the same price as the HS2. Go check it out. Panasonic has a wider range of dvd recorders and has been making them longer than Phillips. Gd Luck
Old 11-24-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Pioneer PVR-9000 is the best recorder out there.
Sure the other units that you've mentioned are cheaper,
but not better. The 9000 is the professional upgrade to
Pioneer's consumer DVR-7000. The only major difference
is the warranty: 2 years vs. 1. Any serious DVD enthusiast
will agree that the picture and sound on these units are first-rate.
Old 11-24-02, 09:16 PM

Best DVD recorder

I vote for the all-around awesome machine...Panasonic E30. The format battle will be won by DVD-R!!!!!
Old 11-25-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ralsagoff- What is the difference between the DMR-t3040 and the DMR-HS2? I was about to buy the DMR-hs2 but if this one is better I will get this one. All the websites where I see it listed list all the same features.
Old 11-25-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Use the search function to see a large number of threads about the various DVD recorders. You'll find everything you'll need there.
Old 11-26-02, 08:13 PM

The best DVD Recorders for recording are the Panasonic E30 and Samsung DVD R3000 because both units incorporate "Flexible Recording" along with special filters which improve upon an NTSC conversion to MPEG 2. I have recordered over 150 movies from VHS, SVHS, Laserdisc and DirecTV with excellent results.

The best results are obtained by spreading the movie over the whole disc so the recording it done at the highest bit rate. That is the secret. Recording at a set speed, other than SP (2 hour) wastes valuable bit rate. With "Flexible Recording" you set the recording time and the player records at the highest bit rate for that particular time period.

As an example, you are not going to obtain the best results by recording a movie 2 hours and 10 minutes long at a 3 hour recording speed. With flexible recording you set the player to record for the 2 hour and 10 minute period achieving the highest bit rate.

Recording to DVD is all about bit rate. The higher the bit rate the better the recording. Commercial DVD's are dual layered to achieve the highest bit rate.