Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need recos on good/great headphones

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Sony MDR-V250's right now, and while they are comfortable and have nice sound, they just don't cut it anymore. I want something that can handle and a LOT of bass and cover the entire ear. Are there headphones with dolby digital capability? Looking to spend somewhere between 75-150. What do u recommend?

-Huzefa
Old 11-01-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's my recommendations

If you're really looking for great headphones, I would suggest upping the price maximum to US$200 and look up the information on this web page:

http://headroom.headphone.com/layout...&subTopicID=26

The Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG and Grado headphones have superb sound and sound better than most Sony models.
Old 11-01-02, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want something with an insane amount of bass capability. I don't care if it's big as a helmet since I'm going to be using it at home with my stereo/pc. I like the Sennheiser 580's but the HD 600 is only $279.... is the Grado SR225 comparable to the SD 600?
Old 11-02-02, 04:34 AM

In that case...

Originally posted by huzefa
I want something with an insane amount of bass capability. I don't care if it's big as a helmet since I'm going to be using it at home with my stereo/pc. I like the Sennheiser 580's but the HD 600 is only $279.... is the Grado SR225 comparable to the SD 600?
...Given the criteria you mentioned how about getting the Sony MDR-CD780? I've heard this model and it an excellent set of headphones. I own the older MDR-CD750 and that model has well-balanced sound with quite strong and clear bass. Check with Yahoo! Shopping and you can get the MDR-CD780 for under US$100.
Old 11-02-02, 08:04 AM

I second the Sennheisser HD580's. They have a lot of bass, cover the entire ear, and can play very loud and clean. I also own the HD600's and unless you are very critical in your music listening the diffrence in price compared to the HD580's just isn't worth it. (I.E. very good high end cd player and dedicated headphone amp = clear but small difference compared to 580's.)

If you want to stick with sony's I think the MDR-7506 has the sound you're looking for. They also are very popular as studio headphone, have a lot of bass, and can play loud and can be found for about $100.

I have also owned some Grado's, but didn't really like them. They don't have deep bass, and personally I think they sound way to bright.
Old 11-02-02, 10:06 AM

If you do look into the Sony 7506's i would advise that you check out the Sony MDR-V6 and do some research.
they are the exact same headphone w/the exception of a gold plated plug.
the V6's are less expensive - both are excellent closed headphones,used quite extensively in the recording/studio field.
just recently bought another pair,as I gave my other pair to my son (so he can play that damn "Unreal" w/out waking me up )

CHEERS ! jefff
Old 11-02-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I got the following to choose from:

Sony MDR-CD780
Sony MDR-7506
Sennheiser HD 580
Sony MDR-V6

Anybody have a headphone comparison website?
Old 11-02-02, 10:49 AM

www.headwize.com

www.headphone.com

Lots of info and very knowledgable folks at both.
good luck.

CHEERS ! jefff
Old 11-02-02, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Etrigan
If you do look into the Sony 7506's i would advise that you check out the Sony MDR-V6 and do some research.
they are the exact same headphone w/the exception of a gold plated plug. The V6's are less expensive - both are excellent closed headphones,used quite extensively in the recording/studio field.
However, I don't really like the MDR-V6. The problem with that headphone is the fact the bass is a bit on the weak side and there is too much emphasis on upper midrange sounds.

The MDR-CD780 has a much natural sound with strong and clear bass.
Old 11-08-02, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I was looking at those websites, and I noticed that the high-end 'cans' require a separate amp. WTF is up with that? Do I really need those? What I do is plug my soundcard into my stereo and plug the headphones into the headphone jack of the stereo. Then I can use the stereo itself to change the volume. Is that pretty much the same thing as this 'dedicated headphone amp'?
Old 11-10-02, 03:29 PM

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=35

CHEERS ! jefff
Old 11-10-02, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

There were these new DD 5.1 headphones from Pioneer at CEDIA. I dont know any details about price or if they are even out yet but they were way good at 5.1

We were playing Halo with them and it was very cool and they are wireless.

Maybe a search would find some details.
Old 11-10-02, 08:37 PM

A headphone amp in not necessary to drive most high end headphones. The headphone output from your receiver should be adequate to drive any headphone.

Some people have a "headphone system" with just a source and headphone amp. Others just buy a headphone amp because they want the best possible sound from their headphones.

I own several headphone amps, but the majority of my headphone listening is straight out of portable cd player. This is despite using headphones that "require" a headphone amp.
Old 11-11-02, 10:35 AM

After reading many reviews, I just ordered 2 pairs of Seinnheiser HD497's from Amazon for $47.99 each so my wife & I can watch late night movies without reading the captions.
I've never even heard of that brand before, so I'm going on blind faith. If I hate them, I'll just blame everyone here.