DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

16:9 squeeze on 4:3 question

Old 10-11-02, 11:23 PM

16:9 squeeze on 4:3 question

Hey there, never realised that my Toshiba 4:3 tv had a 16:9 squeeze mode...I've been using a s-video connection to my dvd player to tv for the past few months, and I was wondering...using component cables and the 16:9 squeeze mode, how much of a noticible difference would there be in my dvd viewing...I'm a poor college student so saving me the $30-$40 for component cables would be appreciated =P

Thanks for the input
Old 10-12-02, 12:04 AM
X
Administrator

The 16:9 squeeze mode will make a BIG difference. You can go to Radio Shack and buy their component cables. I think a set of their best quality 75-ohm cables runs about $35 for a 6' length. Perhaps you can use the 3' set. And if you don't like the results you can return it. I use them on a 53" RPTV and they work fine.

Or maybe you could just try a short length of any type of stereo/video cable between your player and TV just to get an idea of how good the squeeze makes the picture. Good cable will just make it better.
Old 10-14-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AR has some fairly inexpensive component cables. If I remember right they were about $29 at BB for the set.

To answer your question from the closed thread, yes, that's how you set everything up. You might want to make sure that there's a setting on your DVD player to tell it to use the component cable outputs and that you've enabled it, but other than that you're set.