DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Please help problem with Denon 1802

Old 10-11-02, 03:00 AM

Please help problem with Denon 1802

Ok i have a Denon 1802 which i use wih my PS2 and my speakers are Polk 600i Fronts and Polk fx300 rears (i think).

So last night i was playing one of those ‘set your sound levels DVDS’, but when it got to the Subwoofer part no sound came out of any of my speakers. I do not have a sub, but the sound should still have come out of my fronts is that not right. On my amp i have the setting for sub on ‘no’ and in the manual it says this should put all the sub info though the other speakers. My friend checked the DVD last night on his system with (Yam Amp/ PS2) and sub off and he got the noise out of his other speakers.

What could my problem be, is this a problem with my Amp or could it be my speakers? Please help

Thanks

Paul
Old 10-11-02, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

but when it got to the Subwoofer part no sound came out of any of my speakers. I do not have a sub, but the sound should still have come out of my fronts is that not right.
Make sure that the dvd player is set to pass a DD 5.1 signal.

Make sure that the receiver is set to auto-format. With no subwoofer set your speakers to large.

Check the manual for the receiver for a more detailed explanation.
Old 10-11-02, 07:15 AM

i have done all of that and it still does not work, my PS2 is set to 5.1 and the amp automatically picks dts or DD, the sub is set to 'no' so reading the manual this should send the bass to the fronts.

my fronts are set to large but my centre to small could this be the problem?

cheers

Paul
Old 10-11-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the Polk speakers go down to 45 Hz maybe the sound is lower than that?

so if they are sending out a sound at 30 Hz you would hear nothing since your speaker can only reproduce sound above 45 Hz.

http://www.legacyaudiovideo.com/polaudrt600i.html

I got the specs from this site.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/specs....ry=3&speaker=2

Polk mentions that the Lower -3dB Limit is 45Hz although the speaker specs say the Overall Frequency Response is 30Hz - 26kHz .

Maybe if you increased the sound levels you might hear that in fact you are getting some bass response just at low levels.

also try changing the center to large and see if it helps.
Old 10-15-02, 09:58 AM

Problem seems to be with amp

Okay I have tested the subwoofer output with subwoofer 'yes' (using an old amp) and it works with my speakers.

I also put subwoofer to 'no' and hooked up a multimeter and there is no signal even going to my speakers.

I can confirm that all the 5 other speakers are outputting correctly.

Therefore I know the problem is not the playstation II, not the speakers, not the DVD, and not the digital signal.

It is either a problem with my configuration, which I have done just as the manual instructed as well as trying every other combination - or more likely it is a problem with the circuitry that is supposed to send the subwoofer signal to the fronts when no sub is present.

I just want to know if this is a common problem or if there is something obvious I might have overlooked before I send it in for warranty service(which will be a pain because I am in Italy)
Old 10-15-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay I have tested the subwoofer output with subwoofer 'yes' (using an old amp) and it works with my speakers
What kind of a sub is this, powered or unpowered? If it is unpowered you would need to hook the fronts through it or use an amp as in your test.
Old 10-16-02, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait. maybe the test signals only go to the specific output.

so in the test signal the sound is only outputed to the subwoofer output even when the system is set to no sub.

I did not even think of this at first. I bet they assumed that if you needed to set a sound level for a subwoofer you had one.

Maybe this is why.

or maybe I am just tired
Old 10-16-02, 09:00 AM

Wait. maybe the test signals only go to the specific output.
Yeah I thought of that, but the same test DVD output works fine on my friends system and he doesnt have a sub either.

What kind of a sub is this, powered or unpowered? If it is unpowered you would need to hook the fronts through it or use an amp as in your test.
My problem is I dont have a sub! So Im trying to get the signal to downmix to the mains, as it should when I tell the reciever I dont have a sub- but this is what isnt working. I could leave the extra amp there permanently, but that is kind of a ghetto solution for something that really needs to be fixed.
Old 11-04-02, 08:08 AM

ok so took it to a Denon service centre and they said. It is meant to be like this with DVDs, That when there is no sub, it will send the bass to the mains when playing CDs but not DVD's as the bass is mixed differently (or something like that i am in Italy and understanding is difficult) He also had another 1802 there and he checked the Bass on that system with the set up disc sub chapter and agian like mine there was no bass though front speakers when sub was set to "no"

does this sound right to you?

i am a relative novice, but i thought setting the sub to 'no' meant the LFE channel should goto the front speakers, but from what i have been told this is not the case.

should i call denon in the states and ask there service people if so does anyone know the number

cheers

Paul