Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help Me Select a DVD Player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-02, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After several years of trouble-free service, my old Phillips DVD825 has finally begun going berserk and refusing to play lots of DVDs (and CDs), so I think the time has come for an upgrade. Based on a quick perusal of this forum, best bets seem to be the Sony 715 and the Panasonic 82 (don't remember all the letters, but I'm sure you know which models I'm referring to). The player will be part of a very small apartment system -- an old Toshiba CN27H95 TV + a Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX receiver.

I'd appreciate any input on which of these 2 players makes more sense. By the way, I'm not planning to upgrade my TV anytime soon, so if I'm wasting my money on a progressive scan player and there's something good that will do the job for a lot less $, I'd be happy to hear about it. I'm generally predisposed toward Panasonic, Pioneer, and Sony (also Onkyo and HK, but nobody seems to recommend them anymore); I like Toshiba equipment in general, but their history with DVD players seems (or at least has seemed in the past) a bit spotty; and the Samsung 721 looks pretty good, but I'm still skeptical about Samsung in general.

My main criteria for choosing: good picture, good sound, will play any disk (DVD or CD) I throw at it, high reliability, A-B and track repeat functions, DTS out (decoder unnecessary), access to subtitle and audio track changes on the remote.

Thanks in advance.

DGT
Old 10-08-02, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I havn't used my 715 yet, as my 57" just showed up yesterday. I will tell you the 715 plays DVD, CD, CD-R, CD-R/W, DVD-R, MP3, and I think one more DVD recordable format. Seems like an all inclusive package. It is progressive, and about $200 at stores like BB. Other than that I don't have a lot of info. Good luck!
Old 10-08-02, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been fond of Panasonic DVD players recently, especially after the introduction of the RP56 which used the SAGE chip, one of the best prog scan chips on the market. It was a very solid player for the money. The 82 continues this line and is a step up from the 62. Which both are super solid performers and very hard to beat for the money.