DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about "dirty" electricity...

Old 10-05-02, 11:19 AM
Banned

Question about "dirty" electricity...

I was in a local tv and appliance store the other evening checking out a new television, and I got to talking with a sales clerk...has anyone heard of "dirty electricity"? I understood the concept, for the most part, it just sounded a little odd to me. The solution, a set called Monster?, I think is what it's called, and they were selling it for $150. It looks like a powerstrip on steroids. Apparently when you hook all your appliances up to this thing it's suppose to "clean" the flow of electricity flowing to these appliances. The example given was a chart resembling a heart monitor...without said powerstrip spikes, peaks, and valleys in the flow of electricity, with it, a flatline.

Since wiring is not always perfect sometimes a flutter will appear in a tv screen or in a soundtrack, if say, you flip a light switch while watching a movie...this powerstrip is suppose to streamline it, and apparently "dirty electricity" greatly shortens the life of electronics.

Just curious if any of you have ever heard of this theory of "dirty electricity" and this new powerstrip or if it's just BS. It sounds kinda plausible, I'm just not sure.
Old 10-05-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Probably a power line conditioner or something similar:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=213327

It's definitely plausible since I had many problems in my last apartment - if the fan went on, I got static on the TV. If the fridge kicked into a higher gear, my monitor took a hit, etc.
Old 10-06-02, 01:20 AM

its the real deal. check out my website for pics of that same power center in action. my website is in my sig.

POWER CENTER
Old 10-06-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unless you have extremely bad electrical service these units are a total waste of money! But if you like to buy $500 speaker wires and $2000 for fancy interconnects then I guess you will want to buy this deal as well.
Old 10-07-02, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now, I work for a electrical controls company. Would this be the same as a line conditioner? I mean if I can get an "industrial" grade filter for a load less than Monster, it would be the way to go.

I was also considering running my system through a 120 VAC -120 VAC transformer. This way transient spikes would be reduced due to the inductance of the coils right?

Does anyone here know what theory these power strips use if "clean" my electricity?
Old 10-07-02, 01:15 PM

Go here
http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/surge.htm
or here
http://www.diycable.com/catalog/prod...r_jr_power.htm

to build your own! Also you can try UPS's built for computer surge and brown outs (APC brand is one)
Old 10-07-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Frank S
Unless you have extremely bad electrical service these units are a total waste of money!
Thanks for the enlightenment.
And your experience (where you draw your experiences to make such claims by) on the subject is...?
Old 10-08-02, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Taco
Go here
http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/surge.htm
or here
http://www.diycable.com/catalog/prod...r_jr_power.htm

to build your own! Also you can try UPS's built for computer surge and brown outs (APC brand is one)

Wow, pop-ups galore on the jonrisch site! But from reading the sites it appears as inductance and capacitance is usde to clean the power. Now to determine if I can design my own.
Old 10-08-02, 09:36 AM

Yep, I've read a lot of JR's advice over on audioasylum. Seems to know what he's talking about and works as an audio engineer. I've made a few of his DIY cables and they work great for much less dollars than audiophile stuff.

This referenced filter I haven't tackled yet, as even DIY the prices are a bit high. I'm sure if you rip apart commercial protectors you'd probably find similar components (but probably lower grade!)