Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best 27-32'' flatscreen for +- 600 bucks? (prefer the 32'' side of things)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-02, 10:48 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wondering what the best flatscreen I can get for this price is, preferably something with anamorphic squeeze and in a perfect world something with 32'' of sweet sweet lovin. Muchos Gracias!
Old 10-07-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm beginning to look into this too. For the 32" side of things I'm thinking the Sony VVega. At 27" there's a Samsung that has a lot of the same features of the VVega, but it about $100 less, I'm trying to find more info on that set.
Old 10-09-02, 08:29 AM

Check out 'Akai'

Do a search on this board for topics related to Akai. It is a rebadged Samsung DynaFlat which is available from Sam's Club. It's 27" but is flat screen, has anamorphic squeeze, component input for your DVD player and all that jazz for ~$350. In that price range it is probably your best bet. A lot of the lower end Sony's don't have anamorphic squeeze even in the 32" models so do your homework.

One of the best things you can do for your new TV (once you get it) is to invest some time in calibrating it properly. There is information here, and avsforum and other places where you can get more information on that. Best of luck, and you may want to follow this thread up with whatever you did get and how it ended up treating you.
Old 10-09-02, 01:26 PM
Cool New Member

I've done quite a bit of research on the Akai, and now I'm leaning more and more heavily towards that set (minimum investment for a decent tv to last me till I throw down some big bucks on a nice hd widescreen ). As to the calibration, I'm planning on purchasing the Avia cali disk once I get the set. Just wondering if there is anything within a hundred bucks of the Akai that beats it (reliability, quaility, etc.). Thanks much!
Old 10-09-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This one. It's $100 more ($699) but I've seen it on sale for less. It's only 27" but it's also hd ready.
Old 10-09-02, 02:57 PM

At $699 that is more than twice what the Akai costs at Sam's Club now since it is going for $299.56 (http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...cfkjdgoodfkg.0) currently. Since both TV's are Samsung's one would think they would be comparable in build quality, except that the $700 one is an HDTV monitor, not an Analog TV. IF you can get that Samsung Tantus TV (the HD monitor one) for about $500 or maybe even $600 then that would probably be the best option in this price range. Then again, if the idea is to buy a cheap in price TV to hold you off for a MUCH bigger one, then spending the extra $ for the Tantus might not be worth it.
Old 10-12-02, 03:00 PM
Cool New Member

Just curious as to why they've dropped the akai in price? I've read tons of good reviews of the set, but also a few negative ones (although many of them seem to be written by the same individuals across several boards). I couldn't check the price via that link as it had timed out, but if anyone knows why the price has been dropped on the set (hoping not because of quality issues), I'd love to hear about it as I'm very seriously considering acquiring this set some time soon, if you have a neg, reply, perhaps you could suggest a 27 in flatscreen with anamorphic squeeze? vielen danke
Old 10-13-02, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

YMMV on the price in your local club. It's still listed as $350 at mine.