DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Magnetix Portable DVD Player

Old 10-07-02, 02:39 PM

Magnetix Portable DVD Player

I just got an email about this new $299.00 Magnetix Portable DVD player.
Does anyone know if it is OK, GOOD or a SCAM?

Thanks
Tommy
Old 10-08-02, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

free shipping, free case and free 12 volt car charger. can't find a dang review anywhere though! slow-ass site...

+ Features +
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+ Region Free; allows you to play DVDs from any region. [click here to view map]

+ 3 Hour Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery provides extended performance with more reliability and less weight than conventional NiCad batteries.

+ DTS® / Dolby Digital® 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Compatibility Compatibility allows this DVD player to output DTS (Digital Theater System) 5.1 channel audio signals for decoding by DTS-decoding receivers, giving you all the incredible sound that Hollywood can put on a DVD to a receiver equipped with a Dolby Digital decoder.

+ 10-Bit 27 MHz Video D/A Conversion provides rapid processing of the video signal with less signal loss, ensuring maximum image resolution and images free of artifacts.

+ 96 kHz/24-bit Audio D/A Converter Maximizes DVD and CD audio performance capability, providing smoother, less digitized transitions, and richer sonic texture.

+ AC Power Adaptor allows connection to ordinary household electrical plugs for battery-saving operation.

+ Vehicle Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter powers your DVD player within a vehicle, saving battery power.

+ On-Screen Menu System On-screen displays make it easy to adjust more picture, sound, and convenience features from either the remote control or the front panel controls.

+ Fingertip Cursor Control located on the player unit, allows easy access to navigate through the player's menu system as well as your DVD title menus.

+ Credit Card-Size Wireless Remote allows easy control of nearly all features in one compact, easy-to-use remote control without the need to access the controls on the player unit.

+ Stereo Earphones for enjoying your DVD movies in private or when traveling on an airplane, bus, etc.

+ Connections +
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+ Composite A/V 3-in-1 In/Out Jack

+ S-Video (S-VHS) Jack

+ Headphone Jack w/volume

+ Stereo Audio Outputs 1

+ Optical Digital Output (Toslink)

+ DC 12V Power In

+ Specifications +
+ Discs Accepted: DVD, VCD(v2.0), CD, SVCD, MP3

+ Display: 7.8" LCD; 4:3 Ratio; 720 x 400 Screen Resolution

+ Video Terminal: Composite input/output & 1 S-Video jack

+ Analog Audio Out: Two-channel downmix output, built-in two-channel stereo speakers, headphone jack

+ Digital Audio Out: DTS/AC-3/PCM optical output

+ Analog Audio In: Left & right channel input (1 jack)

+ DAC: Audio 24 bit/96KHz, video 10bits

+ Battery recharge time: 4 hours

+ AC Adapter Input: AC 100-240 volt 50/60Hz 1000mA

+ Dimensions: 9" W x 1" H x 6" D

+ Unit Weight: 2.2 lbs. / 3.2 lbs. w/battery

+ Shipping Weight: 5 lbs.
Old 10-08-02, 06:59 PM
X
Administrator

E-mail out of nowhere? Slow-ass site? Never heard of the brand?

Sounds good to me!
Old 10-08-02, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the input!
T
Old 10-11-02, 04:35 PM

WARNING! when you go to buy this product, it doesn't accept credit cards. It only accepts bank drafts. This has to be a total scam to steal your money!
T
Old 10-13-02, 09:23 AM

magnetix dvd player

Has anyone found any more info about this email? I too received it and it looks really good but bank draft? Has anyone done it? Did you get the dvd player?
Old 10-13-02, 09:32 AM

Just noticed...bank drafts without SSL...SHAAAAAADY! Sent them an email...we'll see if they respond.
Old 10-13-02, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jbholling
we'll see if they respond.
Post back if you hear from them, but I have no idea why anyone would think this was anything other than a scam.
Old 10-13-02, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

I lot of work was done looking into this at fatwallet. It looks to be a total scam. You can search there for the details.

I just got a inital 5.8" (shinco) at Walmart for $299. Cheaper then I could find in Hong Kong or China!!! It rocks. CD's with Jpeg's, VCD, DVD, 3 hour battery and I got a 4 hour battery in Hong Kong for $50! 7 hours of video on the flight.

The only neg is the amp for the speakers is fine for the built ins but for head phones on a plane it is not loud enough. I have to find some efficient headphones or get noise canceling ones.