Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Inline audio amplifier for headphones...?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-02, 06:14 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking about picking up the Samsung DVD L100 if I can get it for a good price, but I've read in another thread (as well as listened to it myself) that it's headphone jacks aren't amplified, so they sound pretty soft even at max volume.

Matome mentioned (in the Portable DVD review thread) that he was going to get an inline audio amplifier to fix this.

The best I could find is this Radio Shack amplifier but I'd like something that looks nicer and supports 2 headphones, or failing that, something smaller so that carrying around two of them isn't a pain.

Any suggestions?

-David
Old 10-02-02, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't know about sizes or anything, but audioadvisor definitely has headphone amps.
Prices (and, I'd expect quality) are going to be much higher at audioadvisor.
Old 10-02-02, 08:06 PM
Uber Member

Unless I'm missing it, they're prices on headphone amps start at $200. Also, I don't think any of them are portable.

Sounded like really impressive stuff though. Just don't want to spend that much.

Thanks, though.

Any other suggestions?

-David
Old 10-02-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Blade
Unless I'm missing it, they're prices on headphone amps start at $200. Also, I don't think any of them are portable.

Sounded like really impressive stuff though. Just don't want to spend that much.

Thanks, though.

Any other suggestions?

-David
http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0010010001

Still pretty pricy, though, and that's their cheapest model. At least it's portable.

I think Radio Shack might have something that has 2 outputs. There's definitely a product or two out there that will do this for cheap -- the question then becomes one of quality and/or max volume. Too bad I'm drawing a blank right now.
Old 10-02-02, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

David,
A word of warning:
Be careful how loud you listen to movies (or anything) through headphones. As a musician for the last 15+ years, I 've done more damage to my ears with headphones then standing if front of a wall of Marshalls. Trust me, I've got the tinitus to prove it.

I'd advise actually hearing for yourself what it sounds like before plunking down any cash, as 'too soft, or too loud' is purely subjective and varies from listener to listener.

Doesn't your processor/receiver have a headphone output?

Either way, good luck and protect your ears.

Cheers.
Old 10-02-02, 10:54 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
David,
A word of warning:
Be careful how loud you listen to movies (or anything) through headphones. As a musician for the last 15+ years, I 've done more damage to my ears with headphones then standing if front of a wall of Marshalls. Trust me, I've got the tinitus to prove it.

I'd advise actually hearing for yourself what it sounds like before plunking down any cash, as 'too soft, or too loud' is purely subjective and varies from listener to listener.

Doesn't your processor/receiver have a headphone output?

Either way, good luck and protect your ears.

Cheers.
Thanks for the warning.

This is for a portable DVD player with unpowered headphone jacks. Turning it up to max volume (and I have done this already) is only barely acceptable in a quiet room. I can't imagine how it would be on an airplane or in a busy mall. I don't intend to get them so loud as to damage my ears, though I am starting to look at those noise cancelling headphones now.

Everything costs too much money!

stevevt,

Thanks, that is more like what I'm looking for, but it is a little pricey. Also saw some of their noise cancelling headphones...I'll have to go back and reread that old thread.

Anyone else have some slightly cheaper suggestions? Doesn't have to be great audio, just loud enough for me to hear it over ambient noise.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

-David
Old 10-05-02, 05:17 PM
Uber Member

Ok, I found what I was looking for...I hope.

www.boostaroo.com

I only paid $15 (free shipping) for it on Ebay this morning.

It provides 4 dB of gain according to its specs, and has jacks for up to 3 headphones.

It connects to the device and then you plug the headphones into the boostaroo. The volume is controlled by the DVD player.

I'll give a review on how it works after I get it.

I'm also going to be getting the Samsung L 100 portable player! I'll post a review of that when I get it too.
Old 10-06-02, 12:33 AM

I use a headphone amp from radioshack that looks just like the boostaroo with three inputs for less than $20 (it may even be the same as the boostaroo but I dont think it was called that). It definitely increases the volume especially noticeable when on the plane. I really cant comment on how it distorts the sound as I only use it on the plane when all I really care about hearing is the dialogue from my portable dvd player.
Old 10-06-02, 08:38 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by descartes
I use a headphone amp from radioshack that looks just like the boostaroo with three inputs for less than $20 (it may even be the same as the boostaroo but I dont think it was called that). It definitely increases the volume especially noticeable when on the plane. I really cant comment on how it distorts the sound as I only use it on the plane when all I really care about hearing is the dialogue from my portable dvd player.
I did a search, and you're right, they do have something very similar. But it was $21 on the site, so the price is pretty much the same.

Well, I saved $6, but I might not have minded paying extra to avoid owning something called "boostaroo"!

-David