DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Audio Setup

Old 10-03-02, 07:59 AM

Audio Setup

Hi

Just wondering if i have a Dvd player that has Dolby output and not 5.1.

And if i want to connect external speakers'do i just attach the speakers or need to attach the speakers to somer sort of decoder?

Thanx
Old 10-03-02, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Audio Setup

Originally posted by hachiman
Hi

Just wondering if i have a Dvd player that has Dolby output and not 5.1.

And if i want to connect external speakers'do i just attach the speakers or need to attach the speakers to somer sort of decoder?

Thanx
Not likely since the DVD spec is for DD 5.1.

Some players have built in decoders but you would not be able to connect speakers directly to a player anyway. Speakers nee amplification and therefore some type of receiver is necessary. That is where the decoding is usually done.
Old 10-04-02, 10:03 AM

Thanx

Anyone know where i can buy a decoder online in the uk?

Thanx
Old 10-04-02, 10:13 AM

Klipsch actually has a 5.1 decoder that you could use to decode and then hook up speakers too. Granted you would need a amp per speaker. You could always look into some of the cheaper computer 5.1 systems that are powered. They aren't that good, but are cheap and if that is what you are looking for will do. Also know they will only plug into the DVD player.
Old 10-04-02, 10:24 AM

Thanx for replies.

Forgetting all the 5.1 and dolby thing is it possible to just pluyg speakers straight into your DVD Player?
Old 10-04-02, 10:28 AM

No, you need to have an amp between them and the DVD player. You could use computer speakers or something like Paradigms speakers that are powered. Or you could get a stereo amp and then plug the DVD player into that and then the speakers into the amp. Only problem is, you will have no control over the volume that way... so some sort of powered speaker setup is your best option for that.
Old 10-06-02, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First off all DVD players have dolby outputs outside of the digital ones for 5.1 surround. It is the Left & Right analog outputs which will output Dolby PL, Stereo or Mono depending on the DVD's audio. You do need a receiver of some sort though or as other stated computer speakers, or all-in-one setups that have speakers and receiver included.

Also the DVD spec does not require DD 5.1 but merely any type of Dolby Digital like 5.1, 4.1, 3.1, 2.1, 2.0 Mono etc... or a PCM track.