DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Watching NTSC DVD's on a PAL television

Old 10-02-02, 02:55 PM

Watching NTSC DVD's on a PAL television

Hi,
I'm from the UK and have recently bought a widescreen TV. When i've watched a Region 1 NTSC dvd on my multi-region DVD player in the past on my 4:3 TV i got used to the occasional jump in frame-rate every so often. It didn't really bother me, but when watching it on my new TV it seems to happen every second or so which can be distracting. Is it something i should put up with or is there a possible solution to the problem? :-)

Thankyou!
Mark
Old 10-02-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe its the number of frams per sec. is your porblem. Do a search on google for pal tv problems and click on the fist link. This should help you out.
Old 10-02-02, 05:59 PM

Aha, thanks.

I've found out that for smooth playback on a PAL TV, my DVD Player requires PAL60 (60 Hz) playback. I can't check it right now, but when searching for my DVD Player on the internet it seems to be a complete mystery. I bought it special offer from one of those DVD clubs and the title on the machine is REC 850.

Has anyone heard of it before?

Mark
Old 10-03-02, 01:02 AM

isn't your TV multisystem? I mean, Europe's full of multisystem TVs, and it's very easy for PAL machines to display NTSC... so why bother doing the transfer to PAL in the first place?
Old 10-03-02, 07:46 AM

Hi Playitagainsam, i just found out last night. I was going to post but was too busy watching Saving Private Ryan the way it was meant to be ;-)

I'm probably the last one on these forums to say this, but i'm surprised at how much widescreen makes a difference!

I found out that my DVD player didn't have PAL60, but when i switched it to NTSC mode it worked fine. (So my new TV works in NTSC mode which is great.)

The only little thing i've noticed is that the picture seems to move to the left an inch or so, but there's no missing picture information to the right of the screen. I seem to remember this occuring with my Playstation and a scart connection too, so maybe this is common.

Another thing is a DVD specific one. i have the special edition of The Abyss and when switching to widescreen 16:9 mode it doesn't stretch vertically. I understand that it's not an anamorphic DVD and the black bars are recorded with the picture, but is there a solution to the problem?

Thanks!
Mark
Old 10-03-02, 08:49 PM

cool!

The picture moving on the screen is something really quirky, and I've seen it before, but I'm not aware of any solutions.

I wish I could help with the question on The Abyss, but unfortunately I don't know the answer... well, at least this will bump the thread again ...