DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need Some Help Connecting Up!!

Old 10-03-02, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Need Some Help Connecting Up!!

I was hoping someone could take just a second to help me out.

I finally got around to purchases a receiver and speaker set.

The only problem is, being a novice, I have no idea what to connect to what.

The components I am hooking up are:

TV
DVD Player
Receiver

All of which I was told I should hook up using 'compotent'.

Tell me if this is right......

1. COMPONENT VIDEO OUT (TV) -- connects to -- COMPONENT VIDEO IN (Receiver)

2. COMPENENT VIDEO OUT (DVD) -- connects to -- COMPONENT VIDEO IN (Receiver)

3. DIGITAL OUT (DVD) -- connents to -- DIGITAL IN (Receiver)

Up to this point I believe I am ok. If I am correct #1 and #2 handle the video and #3 handles the audio from the DVD player.

This is where I am lost. How do I connect the audio from the TV to the Receiver?

Is there anything else you might mention? What might I be doing wrong, or less than optimal?
Old 10-03-02, 05:09 AM
Uber Member

Not sure of your setup, and I really need to go to sleep so this will be fast but....

I assume you're trying to watch TV and DVD and have audio come through your receiver.

If you have your cable connected to your TV, then you should already be able to watch cable. There should be an audio out on your TV with left and right jacks. This should go to the TV in on the receiver. Now, when you select TV on the receiver, you should be able to hear your cable channels.

DVD: composite uses a single video cable with an RCA plug. Component, as I understand it, uses three cables with RCA plugs. You want to go from the component video out on the DVD player to the DVD component video in on the Receiver. Then, from the Receiver's component video out, you want to go to a component video in on the TV. TVs today have multiple video connections. They're usually called TV, Video 1, Video 2, etc. TV is probably what you're using to watch cable. One of these should be a component video in. Use that one to connect the component video out from the Receiver. In other wods, connect the component video out from the Receiver to the Component Video in on the TV. To watch DVDs, you'll need to switch to whatever Video in you use (1, 2, 3...or whatever)

For the audio, you connect one of the digital audio outs from the DVD player to the DVD digital audio in on the receiver. Now, when you select DVD on the receiver, you should hear your DVDs. You may need to set the DVD player to output bitstream, and to turn on DTS decoding. Check your manual.

To sum up:

video:
DVD out to Receiver in, Receiver out to TV in.

Audio: TV audio out to Receiver TV in. DVD audio out to Receiver DVD audio in.

Hope that makes sense and works for you.

-David
Old 10-03-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You don't have to send your video through your receiver. That could save you a set of cables.
Old 10-03-02, 03:14 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by bmello
You don't have to send your video through your receiver. That could save you a set of cables.
Shoot. You're right.

Sorry, Recipient, that's only if you're going to do video switching. I was originally going to tell you to send your cable through your receiver, but that started getting too complicated.

You can just go DVD component video out to TV component video in.

-David
Old 10-03-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks A LOT guys!!!