Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Subwoofer Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-02, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home Theater Help - My Speakers?

I've decided that i'm going to buy an Onkyo TX-SR600B, and the output on that receiver says Subwoofer Pre-out.

My question is about the "pre-out". Does this mean anything to me?

I also heard that you hook up passive subwoofers with speaker cable and that you hook up active subwoofers with a subwoofer cable. Is this true?

I'm using new Klipsch Promedia 5.1's. I know that these are computer speakers and this might all be strange, but this is what's within my budget considering the prices I was able to get them for.

My main question is what I'm going to use to hook up the subwoofer. And to hook up the subwoofer anyway i'm going to have to use a RCA to 8mm phono plug adapter, just want to know if this is going to affect any of my sound greatly.

Also, upon searching one of the other threads I found some information on bypassing the whatever whatever and hooking the sub up through the fronts and blah blah because of the low crossover that receivers have. I'm confused by all of this.

Any help that anyone can give me would be great. I hate being new at stuff.

Last edited by BigHarp77; 10-04-02 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-30-02, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I also heard that you hook up passive subwoofers with speaker cable and that you hook up active subwoofers with a subwoofer cable. Is this true?
Yes

My main question is what I'm going to use to hook up the subwoofer. And to hook up the subwoofer anyway i'm going to have to use a RCA to 8mm phono plug adapter, just want to know if this is going to affect any of my sound greatly.
Honestly I am not sure this will work.
Old 09-30-02, 03:31 PM

Why wouldn't that work??

and i might not get the onkyo anymore, I'm think about a jvc rx-8020 or somethin like that, it also has a USB port so i can connect my computer to the surround speakers as well.

I am thinking about returning the promedias and trying to find a good price for the klipsch quintet speakers, but my budget is limited.
Old 10-03-02, 01:03 AM

so no help on this, eh?
Old 10-03-02, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by BigHarp77
Why wouldn't that work??

and i might not get the onkyo anymore, I'm think about a jvc rx-8020 or somethin like that, it also has a USB port so i can connect my computer to the surround speakers as well.

I am thinking about returning the promedias and trying to find a good price for the klipsch quintet speakers, but my budget is limited.
I am not sure that the power handling ability of computer speakers will be suited to home audio equipment. If you are running it through your PC that would be ok but i personally would not connect computer speakers to an audio reciever unless the instructions were very clear.
Old 10-03-02, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure about the power handling of your computer speakers...my advice is more to the receiver.
If you're going to go the receiver route, I'd definitely buy the Onkyo over the JVC. You'll be much happier with the sound and build quality.
Old 10-08-02, 01:58 AM

Yeah I rethought this whole thing and decided to be a little more patient. I'm returning the promedias and i'm not getting the jvc. I can always find a way to connect my computer to my receiver later, I know they have adapters for that kind of thing.

I'm getting the onkyo tx-sr600, it's relatively inexpensive and offers virtually all of the options that I need, and i'm also getting the Klipsch Quintet speakers with the ksw 12" subwoofer, unless someone can recommed some better speakers for a decent price. I'm still not set in stone on the speakers, but this receiver is actually perfect for my situation.

Thing is, if I get these speakers, they don't sell the center channel by itself and i'm going to get another for my back surround, as the onkyo receiver supports an amplified sixth channel. Does my center surround sixth channel need to be a true center speaker, or can it just be another satellite?

If it really isn't necessary for it to be a center channel, or to be the same center channel, then I may just go with these. I haven't seen any 6.1 packages in my searching that have been affordable.

Maybe you guys can help?
Old 12-30-02, 05:46 PM

no one??
Old 12-30-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BigHarp77

If it really isn't necessary for it to be a center channel, or to be the same center channel, then I may just go with these. I haven't seen any 6.1 packages in my searching that have been affordable.

Maybe you guys can help?
Ideally, your rear center speakers will be the same as your current surrounds.
The term 'rear center' is a bit misleading as it's not a center channel in the same sense as the one in between your mains.