Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I need help with a set up for my house

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-02, 12:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before reading this I want you to take in consideration I play a load of video games but am selling off all my old systems and will only be playing a load of XBox on this thing and dvds with I own over 300.

hello I work at bestbuy in the home theatre department and have worked there for about 2 years and know quite a bit about the equipment but I really never hear any consumer opionions on how the stuff does after I sell it to them. I just go by brand name but not model. I need you guys help. I am considering buying a 53" Panasonic Model: PT-53WX42 or Phillips Model: 60PP9352. Does anyone have any good or bad stories about these 2 tvs. Everyone tells me phillips is a crappy big screen tv but I have a 27' and it has a excellant picture. Also with this I will need a new dvd player and oviously I want progressive scran and I'm debating either the Toshiba Model: SD-3800 or Samsung Model: DVD-P421 or Panasonic Model: DVD-RP62S. Really I just need your guys advice if it was you what would you buy? Also why? And one last thing I sell these Monster Line conditioners all the time at work because everyone tells me it makes your tv last longer and give you a better picture does anyone have one of these and can give me their opinions. Also is there really a big differerance in picture with Accositic Research and Monster cables?
Anyones resonds will be appreciated.
thanks I appreciate it.
bobby
Old 12-29-02, 06:55 AM

well, to start off with, most people around here seem to prefer the panasonic tv, by a wide margin. It is widely considered the best picture for the price after some tweaks are done. as far as dvd player, everyone seems to quote the rp82 which isnt available at best buy, so I guess the rp62 is allright if you arent overy critical about issues such as chroma bug etc...
but once we get down to the issue of monster, well to be honest, that is a very loaded question. In fact it borders on flame bait. I would leave it at personal preference. You sure wont catch me buying monster products. I feel as my personal opinion that the price can never be justified for their products. There are far less expensive products available elesewhere that do an equal if not better job. Just take a look at the acoustic research products also sold at best buy. Just as good a product for about half the price. Radio shack is a good place to pick up quality av cables. But again cables are a loaded subject. If you feel that you can notice a differrence, by all means buy what makes you happy. After all, you are all that matters. Its not like half this forum will ever be coming over to your place to watch a movie!
Old 12-29-02, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the rp62 does not have the chroma bug. it is a great dvd player.

the accoustic research line is fine.

buy the panasonic tv.

IMO
Old 12-29-02, 12:06 PM
Banned

I have a Philips 55"HDTV model 55pp9701 and it is INCREDIBLE!!!

I have had it for about a year now with NO problems. Philips is an excellent HDTV. I have a Panasonic CP72 dvd player (progressive) and it looks awsome!, could not be happier with my setup. Who tells you Philips is a crappy tv??? That grets my teeth!!! I'm sure you will hear all kinds of misleading information, and the top 2 posts above shows that ( 1 says it has a chroma bug the other guy says it dosent) I dont know about the other HDTV's your looking at because I have never had another besides the Philips in my home, I have seen them in stores and my Philips looks as good or better than the Mitsu's and Panny's. All I can say is my Philips is great and I love my CP 72 player.

One other thing, Ive been to best buy and the service reps know little to nothing about the products they sell, I'm glad to see that you are gathering information that could help your customers decide about thier purchases too.
Old 12-29-02, 12:46 PM
Banned

I forgot to mention I need the dvd player to be able to read DVD+R and DVD+RW media. I ended up buying the toshiba yesterday and it will not play them. I then tested it with the panasonic it will also not play them. Will the panasonic 72 play them. I bought a Samsung progressive for the time being I hooked it up to my old tv because the panasonic comes in on thursday. And I thought the sound was very good allot better than my old apex. I thought the picture had more tone to it but I thought it also had a softer picture. Is the samsung not as good as the panasonic?
Old 12-29-02, 12:55 PM
Banned

Have not tried +R R/W media in the Panny 72, but it should play. What you might want to do is take along a +R media with you and the store rep should hook up the player to a tv and see if it will accept it. I know your work at BB and they dont have the 72 but circuit city does ( if you want to buy from your compeditor).
Old 12-30-02, 09:10 AM
Banned

yeah but the panasonic is a 5 disc changer and I only want a 1 disc.
Old 12-30-02, 04:39 PM
Banned

You dont want the 72 because u only want a 1 disk???

You can have the great performance of the Panny 82 with 4 extra disk slots...Its kinda like "Super Sizing" your player, eh? Why not, you might use them more than u think.

I bet your the kind of person that when u go to sell your old car and someone offers you more money than u want, you say no thanks =P
Old 12-30-02, 08:16 PM
Banned

No I dont care to pay a extra 100 dollars for that model. It cannot be that much better than my samsung I bought for 100 dollars on discount. I guess I will have to wait till I get my tv to make that judgement tho.
Old 12-30-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs
the rp62 does not have the chroma bug. it is a great dvd player.

the accoustic research line is fine.

buy the panasonic tv.

IMO
Agreed.