Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony Wega 32"(KV32FS13) and Progressive DVD

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-02, 05:32 PM
bmg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I have a couple questions which I hope you guys can help me out with.

I just purchased a Sony Wega 32" (KV32FS13). So far, I love my new TV! Awesome picture with the DVD's, especially with 16:9 Enhanced Mode on. I will not watch full screen movies. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but would like some input from some more experienced gurus. Would I benefit from a progressive scan DVD player? I say no since the TV is not HD or HD ready. Yes? No?

When I turn on the TV, it makes an obnoxious "clunk". It's hard to describe. Does anybody have this TV or know what I'm talking about? Is this normal or should I return this vehemouth (it's a S.O.B. at about 170lbs) for a replacement? I didn't notice it at the store because, well.... I never turned one off then on again.

I am looking to upgrade my DVD player. I currently have the Phillips DVD711. While it is a very capable unit, I wonder if I can get more "bang" out of my DVD's. Does anybody have any sugestions? I would like to spend around $200 bucks. I would like to stick with Sony, but am open to any sugestions.

I appreciate any input to one or all of my questions. I visit often and get some great pointers or advice with my HT system from DVD Talk.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 09-23-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Sony Wega 32"(KV32FS13) and Progressive DVD

Originally posted by bmg
I just purchased a Sony Wega 32" (KV32FS13). So far, I love my new TV! Awesome picture with the DVD's, especially with 16:9 Enhanced Mode on. I will not watch full screen movies. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but would like some input from some more experienced gurus. Would I benefit from a progressive scan DVD player?
Your tv can't accept a progressive input, so you won't be able to use the progressive output from a dvd player.

Originally posted by bmg
When I turn on the TV, it makes an obnoxious "clunk". It's hard to describe. Does anybody have this TV or know what I'm talking about? Is this normal or should I return this vehemouth (it's a S.O.B. at about 170lbs) for a replacement? I didn't notice it at the store because, well.... I never turned one off then on again.
My old Sony tv used to make this noise, as does my friend's relatively new Sony tv. What you're hearing is the set degaussing. It'd seem that this is normal behavior for Sony tvs.

Originally posted by bmg
I am looking to upgrade my DVD player. I currently have the Phillips DVD711. While it is a very capable unit, I wonder if I can get more "bang" out of my DVD's. Does anybody have any sugestions? I would like to spend around $200 bucks. I would like to stick with Sony, but am open to any sugestions.
Do you have any friends with newer dvd players who might let you see if you notice any improvement with theirs? I don't know enough about the model you have to say whether or not you'd see a difference in a different player.
Old 09-23-02, 06:43 PM
Cool New Member

Mine is only a 27" but it makes that same "clunk" sound, used to bother me too but haven't noticed ANY problems with mine so I chalk it up to a "Sony" experience!! Only does it when it hasn't been on for awhile. Wouldn't worry about it, seems like all our Sonys do the same thing just more pronounced with my WEGA.
Old 09-24-02, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a Wega 36FS12 at home. First time I turned my TV on the "clunk" almost knocked me out of my chair.

And if you think your 32" is a behemoth, mine weights about 20-30 lbs more. The thought of moving it causes me great pain. It took three guys to get it in my apartment.
Old 09-24-02, 10:50 AM

I have the KV32FS13 at home, I guess I've had it for nearly nine months and it has always made the clunk. I really don't notice it anymore but it scared the hell out of me the first time I heard it. (mostly just the thought of getting it back to the store if it really was broken.)