Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Are Monster brand cables really worth the high cost

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Are Monster brand cables really worth the high cost

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by bfrank
Hate to do it but,

Some of you know I am a designer in this industry. I can tell you first hand that the Bose product is not "crummy" compared to other product of the same type (3" or smaller driver) it is equal to or better then almost all. I assure you from our own tests it is very well engineered. Bose is just WAY over priced.

Lets not hijack this thread with a Bose debate but I feel the comparision of Bose a expensive cable is spot on. Its a marketing job"."
hate to disagree

Bose is not only way overpriced. You can pay far less and get better sound reproduction from other speakers.

Monster cables can be overpriced ; however, I do not think you can pay far less and get better sound reproduction.

Both use marketing to get sales of their overpriced products. Only one delivers a product that does perform well - Monster.

Would I buy Monster cables?
If I get a deal on them yes. I at times will pay a bit more to get a monster cable over a no name. why? because I do know that the cable will be made well and perform as it is supposed to.

Would I buy Bose speakers?

Never. they are horrible when compared to other lower priced speakers that can reproduce sound more accurately. Also if you compare it to speakers in their price range they lose by a ton.

Comparing Bose with other horrible 3" or smaller poorly made speakers is not fair.

IMHO.YMMV.
Old 09-07-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that Monster cables are readily available from mass market B&Ms to mom and pop high end HT shops. Most of the others mentioned in this thread are either online purchases or special orders.

One of the things I like is that I can go to the store today and buy just about any Monster product on the market. I can do comparisons with the garbage products ae well as compare other levels of Monster quality.

Have they made a difference in my system? Absolutely.

To those that say they are too expensive and that cheaper brands will get you to the same place, well, Kia and Lexus both make cars...
Old 09-08-02, 07:16 AM

I like Monster cable, but don't like the price (who doesn't?). So I bid on new Monster cable on Ebay. I usually get between 50-70% off retail price for sealed, new cable. No warranty, but do you know anyone who has had to return a defective cable?
Old 09-08-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Some of you know I am a designer in this industry. I can tell you first hand that the Bose product is not "crummy" compared to other product of the same type (3" or smaller driver) it is equal to or better then almost all.
Nonsense. Cambridge Soundworks makes speakers in the same size that are far better for a fraction of the cost.
Old 09-08-02, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by Josh Z
Nonsense. Cambridge Soundworks makes speakers in the same size that are far better for a fraction of the cost.
We can have a thread about this if someone wants to start one and I will explain my point better but lets not hijack this thread.

No more Bose for this thread - OK?

Old 09-08-02, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We can have a thread about this if someone wants to start one and I will explain my point better but lets not hijack this thread.

No more Bose for this thread - OK?

why not start that thread. I really would be interested in what you have to say on this

It seems like you have some info we might all like to see
Old 09-09-02, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

Originally posted by gcribbs
why not start that thread. I really would be interested in what you have to say on this

It seems like you have some info we might all like to see
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=235442

Old 09-11-02, 03:33 PM

All of you need to go over to audioasylum.com and check out the cable forum. Answers to all your questions. Lot of talk from DIY to super high end stuff. If you have the knack, it's better to make your own cables. The braided CAT5 cable is tough to make, but sounds great. The twisted pair, cross-connected Belden 89259 is supposed to give boutique cables a run and isn't that hard to assemble. Just make sure to use decent plugs/spades. The recipes also cover your digital/analog ICs too.
Old 09-11-02, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by Taco
All of you need to go over to audioasylum.com and check out the cable forum. Answers to all your questions. Lot of talk from DIY to super high end stuff. If you have the knack, it's better to make your own cables. The braided CAT5 cable is tough to make, but sounds great. The twisted pair, cross-connected Belden 89259 is supposed to give boutique cables a run and isn't that hard to assemble. Just make sure to use decent plugs/spades. The recipes also cover your digital/analog ICs too.
Old 09-12-02, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Slightly off-topic : does anyone know where I can get some high quality short cables. The shortest good ones I can find are typically 3 feet. I would like to eliminate the spaghetti tangle and It would help to have some VCR to VCR patch cables that are 6 inches long. I've always heard that shorter is better anyway. (At least that's what I tell my girlfriend).
Old 09-12-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Quatermass
Slightly off-topic : does anyone know where I can get some high quality short cables. The shortest good ones I can find are typically 3 feet. I would like to eliminate the spaghetti tangle and It would help to have some VCR to VCR patch cables that are 6 inches long. I've always heard that shorter is better anyway. (At least that's what I tell my girlfriend).
I believe Bettercables does custom stuff (for a price, of course) but I would suggest the DIY route as described in previous posts to get exactly what you want.
Old 09-12-02, 11:27 AM

Should be OK to go shorter on normal IC's (audio, video), but for digital audio output, some have said it's better to be at 1.5 meters. Something to do with reflections or jitter or something. Again, the above website is good reference. As always, try a search before posting basic questions (unless you have your nomex on!)