Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Dolby Digital Receivers with component video

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-08-02, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the purpose of connecting component video from your dvd player into your audio/video receiver? Will it give a better picture.

My set up right now has component video connected from my TV to my DVD player.

But my receiver has component video "in" for my DVD and TV/Monitor "out" for my television set. Will this give me better picture quality compared to my set up now...
Old 08-08-02, 08:59 PM

No, usually it'll degrade your picture, though some claim to not (ie. the THX Ultra2 ones).
Old 08-08-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't bother with the receiver. You know that's not what it's there for. It's there for audio only. Putting the signal through the receiver will degrade it.
Old 08-08-02, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your receiver has only one component IN, then that's a patently useless feature.

Those are there for people who want/need to switch multiple component inputs. Say you had a DVD player, HD set-top-box, and an XBox all set to use component connections, but your TV only has one component input. Are you going to swap those cables everytime you want to use a different device? No, you're going to put it on a switcher -- a standalone switching device or a receiver with the proper capability.

But again, if there's only 1 component IN on your receiver, that's useless -- you're not going to switch 1 device, are you?

As far as picture quality -- if the receiver has sufficient bandwidth on the component switches (50 mhz?), your picture will not suffer. For instance, I don't believe that most consumer-grade receivers with component switching have enough bandwidth to handle a full HDTV signal path.

Me, my TV has 2 component inputs. If I had a 3rd component device (XBox, say), I'd dedicate one of the inputs to my DVD, and switch the less-important (XBox and cable/satellite box) through the receiver. If the picture degrades, it's still better than settling for SVideo instead.
Old 08-09-02, 05:14 AM

720p requires a minimum of 45mhz to fully pass the signal. 1080i requires someone less. However, sufficient bandwidth isn't the only thing (and some will argue not even the most important thing) that determines a receiver's ability to pass HDTV without degredation. The quality of the components matters just as much if not more.