DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

dvd lens cleansers: do they work?

Old 08-08-02, 08:04 PM

dvd lens cleansers: do they work?

My Sony dvd player is giving me alot of grief. Some dvds play just fine, while others will pause randomly on the disk, or skip to other parts of the disk. We've had some major construction in our house so it's possible that there is dust in the unit. Or maybe it's just old and broken. I wondered if there is a way to clean the dvd player. I've seen a product called a "lens cleaner" that is manufactured by Maxell. Is this worth a try? I thought I read somewhere that trying to clean a dvd player is not recommended.
Or do you folks think that this is a sign that the player is on its last legs.
Old 08-08-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it's a DVD w/ an 'eyelash' thing on it, those do work to brush off dust from a lense. It may not fix your problem, however.
Old 08-09-02, 06:36 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You may have already tried this but have you cleaned the DVDs themselves? A simple way is to run cold water on them and wipe them with a lint-free, soft cloth from the inner ring outward.

I've noticed that as DVDs are getting more and more popular, rental DVDs are pretty filthy. I make it a point to wash all DVDs before they go in my player. I've seen dust, oil (Pizza probably) and whatever else on them.