Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Correct audio setting when using a normal stereo setup?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-02, 03:21 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi... Unfortunately, I don't have a 5.1 setup, so I'm using a standard stereo system for the audio when I watch DVDs. My question is this:

Most DVDs I watch automatically default to the 5.1 setting if it's available. I have always left this as it is, as it's never given me any trouble. Today, I accidentally hit the audio selection button on my remote and switched to the 2.0 setting. I noticed the sound was quite a bit louder. I'm curious... Have I been missing anything by leaving my movies on the default setting? I couldn't really tell if there was any more audio information in the 2.0 setting, or if it was just louder...
Old 06-28-02, 04:00 AM

I have no real basis for this, But I'd expect the 2.0 track would give a more accurate output for your setup (I'd assume the Left/Right sounds would be a bit more accurately mixed for your system Since they would be specifially made specifically for a Left/Right speaker setup, opposed to 5 seperate speakers all being mixed together, which could mess up the audio, if certain levels (IE: if the surround Speakers had loud noise, while the front Channels had dialogue, On a 2-channel setup, the noise could drown out the dialogue.)

At least thats why I think pretty much every DVD Has a Dolby 2.0 counterpart track, alongside the 5.1 track.. But again, thats just my speculation on the whole thing..
Old 06-28-02, 08:39 AM

The 5.1 automatically downmixes to 2.0.. no problems there.. however, 5.1 tracks tend to have real swings in volume, while 2.0 tracks tend to be a little flatter in dynamics...

Most people will prefer the 2.0 track simply because the volume is a bit more consistent, but this all depends on the mixing of the movie, etc.

I rarely noticed enough of a difference to go into the menu to choose the 2.0 track when I used to listen through my stereo or headphones.

--Krisbee.com
Old 06-28-02, 09:37 AM
Cool New Member

I'm also just using stereo speakers, though I hope to change that before too long. I have found, however, that dialogue is sometimes overpowered even on the 2.0 mixes. My DVD player has a dialogue enhance setting which only works when the 5.1 mix is selected, and I find that 5.1 with the enhancer on actually works better than the 2.0 mix for me usually.
Old 06-28-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
DVD & Home Theater Hardware Forum?
Old 06-28-02, 02:04 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by uteotw
DVD & Home Theater Hardware Forum?
Yes, but an understandable mix up. It's a little borderline as it's related to the DVDs themselves as well as the equipment you play them on. But ultimately, the question is how does the hardware handle different audio streams, so probably better in DVD/HT Hardware.

Moving thread.
Old 06-29-02, 04:38 AM

Just curious Infinite Tim, Does your DVD player have a setting that operates as a virtual or combined 5.1? This gives your DVD player the task of combining the 6 channels of sound to two. If you are not sure check the manual.

-Shawn