Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Good Sound Sytem Denon and Klipsch?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-02, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally found what I think is good for me.

I'm looking at getting:
Klipsch RF-3 II -
Klipsch RS-3 II -
Klipsch RC-3 II -
Klipsch RSW-10 -

Total:

Then for a receiver I was looking at getting the Denon AVR-3802 which is about a grand. It's a lot of money to me for all this but its a one time thing..so it doesn't seem that bad but its still pricey. What do you guys think of this setup? The price okay? I know I can get the Denon receiver on ebay for like $700 but seems a little unsafe. Rather go with a retailer like Good Guys. Lastly, have you guys had good expiernces with Klipsch speakers? I hope to go check them out this weekend.
Old 06-24-02, 06:41 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I currently have the Denon 4800 and the older Synergy Klipsch. I love the Denon recievers...as a side hobby, I help people at work and my friends find home theater solutions and have installed about 8 Denon 3802 recievers...you can't go wrong with the price! I like the blend of warm and brightness it offers and is fantastic with movies! Get the Denon!!! Check around on-line for better pricing than $1000....just keep in mind that most purchases on-line for this type of stuff may make the warranty void.

As for the Klipsch...I used to like them quite a bit and still do, however, the one thing that I've noticed with them is that they have a very focused soundstage. For example, if music is playing on them in the family room, they don't really project well all around them unless you right in the middle of all of them.

Check out Paradigms....good value for some really good sounding speakers. They make quite a line to fit various budgets! I think that you can get a pretty good setup for about the same price that you're looking at for the Klipsch.

Also, check out B&Ws....a bit more pricey but remember that this is the part of your system that you're likely to keep the longest so why not spend accordingly!

Good luck!
Old 06-24-02, 06:49 PM

Thanks for your 2 cents!
Old 06-24-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Denon 3802 is an excellent receiver. Audiophiles have mixed feelings about Klipsch speakers. Some really like the horn tweeters, some don't. I think they are excellent for movies, but only average for music. I would recommend listening to 3-4 brands of speakers before deciding. This thread has my choice for a system in your price range:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=217407

Bottom line, Denon and Klipsch both make nice products and if you like them go for it. But I think you owe it to yourself to audition several other brands of speakers, I recommend PSB, Paradigm, and B&W.
Old 06-24-02, 07:05 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the input. I'll be using them for 90% movies so the Klipsch might do me good. But I'll be sure to check out other speakers as well. I was looking at some Boston's I beleive but they were pricey. $1000 for the pair.
Old 06-24-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Karli
Hi,
Thanks for the input. I'll be using them for 90% movies so the Klipsch might do me good. But I'll be sure to check out other speakers as well. I was looking at some Boston's I beleive but they were pricey. $1000 for the pair.
I like the sound of Boston's, but I think you can do better for the money. I highly recommend Canadian companies like PSB and Paradigm because the Canadian goverment supports their audio research and therefore they can deliver unmatched value.
Old 06-25-02, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I think the receiver is a great choice.

Have you listened to the Klipsch? It sounds like you have not so I would compare them to some other brands out there.

B&W, Paradigm and PSB would all be good choices to listen to.

IMHO, speakers are the single most important part of an audio/video system. Ask for advice but trust your ears!

Good luck!
Old 06-25-02, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good choice on the Klipsch, but I would suggest a different sub. While normal Klipsch speakers are great, their subs don't give the best value for the money.

You might look here...

http://www.svsubwoofers.com
Old 06-25-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Electric2k
Good choice on the Klipsch, but I would suggest a different sub. While normal Klipsch speakers are great, their subs don't give the best value for the money.

You might look here...

http://www.svsubwoofers.com
Nothing against the great subs of SVS, but I think that they might be a little out of the price range here considering the Klipsch RSW-10 sub sells for as low as $239 and the SVS sub's start at more than twice that.

I would look at Velodyne, PSB, and Paradigm for nice sub values in the Klipsch's price range.
Old 06-25-02, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by skar

Nothing against the great subs of SVS, but I think that they might be a little out of the price range here considering the Klipsch RSW-10 sub sells for as low as $239 and the SVS sub's start at more than twice that.

I would look at Velodyne, PSB, and Paradigm for nice sub values in the Klipsch's price range.
Where did you get that price? I have them listed for $999
Old 06-25-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I highly recommend you look into Paradigm's Reference series. Those are by far some of the best sounding speakers for the money I've ever heard.
Old 06-26-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Karli

Where did you get that price? I have them listed for $999
Sorry, I mixed it up with the KSW-10 sub.

Here is the RSW-10 for $660 though.

http://brandnamez.com/merchant.ihtml...tid=161&step=4