Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Reciever/TV hookup question

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-09-02, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there, I am pretty new to the home theatre aspect of dvd watching. My question is I can hear 5.1 sound while watching dvds (I am using an optical cable) but I only sound coming from my front speakers while watching TV. I currently have have audio cables coming out of my speaker out option on the tv and into my tv option on my reciever. My question is how can I get full speaker sound while watching tv, my friend said he hooked his up through his cable box...Im sure someone can help me. If Im too vague just let me know and I can give you more details on my hardware.

Thanks
Old 06-09-02, 10:32 AM
Banned

Instead of running cables from your cable/satellite box to your TV and then to your receiver, run all your cables to your reciever. Then, use the monitor out to run video to your TV. If you can't do this, I'm going to need some more details on what equipment you have.
Old 06-09-02, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you have a satellite box or a cable box and you are not using your TVs speakers, you only need to run a video cable to your TV. Remember, you will only get DD5.1 sound from broadcasts if your Cable Box or DSS receiver supports it and the program is in DD5.1
Old 06-09-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What type of receiver do you have? Out of the box Sony receivers default to two channel stereo mode when watching regular TV, so you may need to change this. Also, the tv source you are watching may not be in Pro Logic, so all you would get is sound from your two fronts.
Old 06-10-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bcolon
Also, the tv source you are watching may not be in Pro Logic, so all you would get is sound from your two fronts.
Exactly, the majority of normal broadcasts are not in Pro Logic.
Old 06-25-02, 06:45 AM

New DVD player connections

Just got a DVD player, but I have not been able to hook it up. I have an older TV set with only a coaxial cable input. I have tried running the video/audio through my stereo receiver and out to the TV, but I only get the music (no picture, no dialogue). I have also tried running it through my VCR(Line1), with the same effect. Using the VCR method, I have noticed that when I power the DVD player off and back on I will get the DVD players welcome screen for a few seconds before it goes black.
Old 06-25-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You will have to buy a coaxil cable adapter from Best Buy. They run about 30 bucks. If you don't live by a Best Buy, you may need to look online for one, not too many people carry them.

The reason you can't run your cables through your VCR is that most DVDs contain Macrovision copy protection. It interfears with the retransmissionof the picture when a DVD Player is hooked up to a VCR.

There are actually one or two new DVD Player models that allow them to be hooked up through a VCR.
Old 06-26-02, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: New DVD player connections

Originally posted by jkussery
I have an older TV set with only a coaxial cable input
Time for a new TV!
Old 06-26-02, 11:12 AM

Thanks Bcolon! Is it an adaptor or do I need an RF modulator?