Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Quick TiVo question...?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Quick TiVo question...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick TiVo question...?

Question: Can you still use the TiVo unit without activating the service. (i.e. can it just be used to record, etc. like a VCR) The service only provides the "other" features like recording favorites, etc.
Old 05-10-02, 09:47 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Yes, IIRC
Old 05-10-02, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes. But the newer versions of the software create these annoying messages about you not having enough data.

Having had the service, it's worth it.

Quickly moving to the correct forum....
Old 05-10-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RandyC
Yes. But the newer versions of the software create these annoying messages about you not having enough data.

Having had the service, it's worth it.

Quickly moving to the correct forum....
Thanks guys!! I actually have the service but was unsure what would happen if I killed it.
Old 05-10-02, 11:35 AM
Banned

Actually, that's not entirely true. It depends.

If the unit is a DirecTV+Tivo combo box, then the answer is no. It will not record without the service, period.

If it's a standalone, then it depends on the version of the software the unit *originally* came with. It may have upgraded to 2.51 or even 3.0 since then, but the *original* version number that it had, out of the box, is what matters here.

- If it was 1.3 or earlier, then yes, it will record "manually" without the service.
- If it was 2.0 or later, then the answer is no, it won't record at all without the service.
- If it's a series 2 box, then it had to have come with 2.0 or later, and the answer is no, it won't record at all without the service.
Old 05-10-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Otto
Actually, that's not entirely true. It depends.

If the unit is a DirecTV+Tivo combo box, then the answer is no. It will not record without the service, period.

If it's a standalone, then it depends on the version of the software the unit *originally* came with. It may have upgraded to 2.51 or even 3.0 since then, but the *original* version number that it had, out of the box, is what matters here.

- If it was 1.3 or earlier, then yes, it will record "manually" without the service.
- If it was 2.0 or later, then the answer is no, it won't record at all without the service.
- If it's a series 2 box, then it had to have come with 2.0 or later, and the answer is no, it won't record at all without the service.
Thanks for the info...the unit is a Sony SRV2000 (silver) 30 hours that I won through the "why I can't live without TiVo" essay contest.
Old 05-10-02, 09:01 PM

Just out of curisosity why would you get a Tivo w/o the service? I would think a vcr would be easier for this.
Old 05-10-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I feel bad for you
I'm mostly kidding, it's a joke at work. After you take enough tech support calls for those things you start feeling bad for the owners

Originally posted by Cheddarmuff

...the unit is a Sony SRV2000
Old 05-13-02, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
I feel bad for you
I'm mostly kidding, it's a joke at work. After you take enough tech support calls for those things you start feeling bad for the owners

I'm assuming that people have a lot of problems with the Sony's??

Originally posted by Shay
Just out of curisosity why would you get a Tivo w/o the service? I would think a vcr would be easier for this.

As posted above, I actually have the service, and I didn't buy the TiVo, I won it. I was just wondering what would happen if I disconnected it from the phone line (i.e. effectively disconnecting the service and features) by setting in up in another room. I already have two VCR's, and two DVD players, don't need any more....
Old 05-14-02, 02:23 AM
Banned

Hardware-wise, all the Tivos (of each type) are more or less identical. So I don't think that there's any real situation where one brand fails more often than another. You hear about a lot more Philips boxes dying, but then there's a lot more Philips boxes out there as they've been on the market longer and made more units. That sort of thing. Without some real numbers to back it up, I wouldn't say any one unit is better than any other. Sony has slightly different software, the hardware is the same.
Old 05-14-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
it seems that way at work, but to be fair, people only call us if they're having problems. I have no idea how many tivo units don't act up. most problems are either with the modem breaking, the software freezing up (both require service from the Boston service center), or not being able to find a code to control the cable box

Originally posted by Cheddarmuff

I'm assuming that people have a lot of problems with the Sony's??

Old 05-14-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
it seems that way at work, but to be fair, people only call us if they're having problems. I have no idea how many tivo units don't act up. most problems are either with the modem breaking, the software freezing up (both require service from the Boston service center), or not being able to find a code to control the cable box

A Boston guy huh.....what's with your Celtics cheating against my Pistons...?? You guys are better than I thought...