Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony Receivers????

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Sony Receivers????

The last two that I have bought have had overheating problems and I am wondering If the newer Sony receivers are suffering from the same problem.
Old 05-12-02, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are looking at entry level, Onkyo or Yamaha are going to give you a much better reciever over a Sony. If you are looking to spend more, marantz, denon, H/K and rotel come into the mix along with Onkyo and Yamaha, with all giving you better performance than a Sony.
Old 05-12-02, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
all receivers if placed in a none ventalited area will overheat.
If placed in an area with little ventaliation you can overheat the unit.

My favorite is Denon. I think that they are very conservative with ratings of watts and have a very high build quality. I am on my second and could not be happier. I retired my Denon 3200 and now am using my 2802

Last edited by gcribbs; 05-12-02 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-12-02, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by zargon
If you are looking at entry level, Onkyo or Yamaha are going to give you a much better reciever over a Sony. If you are looking to spend more, marantz, denon, H/K and rotel come into the mix along with Onkyo and Yamaha, with all giving you better performance than a Sony.
This statement is true if you are talking about the Sony DE line, but when you move up to the DB line of receivers they are closer to the quality of the Yamaha, Onkyo's mid-level receivers. And when you move to the Sony ES line you are talking performance/quality equal to the Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon etc.. high-end lines. Now yes, the Denon 5800 is better then the best Sony ES receiver BUT the Denon is a $4000 receiver and the Sony is a $1500 receiver!

DVD-4-Life,
What receiver model/number did you have? I've not heard of any problems with the DB or ES lines with overheating. Of course as staed above if not properly ventilated all receiver will overheat!
Old 05-12-02, 11:46 PM

While the Sony ES line is defently better than the other lines of there recievers, I just can't see it touching the quality of Denon, marantz, Rotel, Nad or Onkyo Integra.
Old 05-12-02, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't bother with Sony receivers anymore!

Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Harmon Kardon and Yamaha, in that order, are much better "budget" receivers than any Sony junk!

IMHO
Old 05-13-02, 05:25 AM

Attention! Attention! Shots have been fired!!

There seems to be alot of sizzle happening on this plate. If everybody didn't have a preference in performance, price and features, we would have one model and one brand (by the way, I am not asking for candidates for the one brand, one model). The Sony ES is good stuff, as is most of the Yamaha, Denon, HK, Onkyo and others. And to be honest, even these guys have made their crap models. The most realistic thing to consider is how much are you willing to spend and what's important to you .

You specifically mentioned overheating, so this touches on the durability issue. First of all the ventilation issue cannot be stressed enough. Give your receiver room to breathe, leave at least an inch, preferrably 2-3, to shelf above if it is in an entertainment center. Also make sure your entertainment center can get air. Heat is the killer of most electronic component parts. Second and also important: CHECK YOUR SPEAKER WIRES! Sorry, didn't mean to shout there, but if there is even a partial break in a speaker wire (the cat, dog, snake, pet rock got ahold of it; furniture moves; party mishaps; etc...), this could cause overheating problems in the best of equipment. When deciding on a new model, look at the warranty offered by the manufacturer. On the receivers that will usually contain the cheaper, less durable and/or stable components you will see 1 year warranties. The better stuff has the longer warranties and this implies the use of better components on the inside.

Get an idea of what you really want to do with your system and what your expectations are and go from there. Remember - and this goes for everybody - there will always be somebody out there with "a better system" than yours, but is that system right for you.
Old 05-13-02, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have owned two Sony ES receivers and have never had a problem with overheating.

My current one has about 1/2 inches of clearance at the top and although it gets very warm has never shut down.
Old 05-13-02, 09:53 AM
mdX

I have a Sony STR-DB 840 and it has performed flawlessly even when used for hours at a time. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat
Old 05-13-02, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I have a Sony DE915(lost sound out of both rear speakers) and a Sony DE835(lost sound out of one rear speaker).I also have a Sony Receiver over ten years old(D790) that has never overheated .
Old 05-13-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to use a Sony DB 830 in my main listening room, and was quite happy with the performance. Never overheated, and did wonderful with DVDs. I have since upgraded to a Pioneer Elite 35TX and still have the Sony in my bedroom running without any problems. I would stay away from the DE series, but DB and ES are great performers.

J
Old 05-13-02, 10:27 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the SONY STR-DA5ES. $1500 MSRP. Picked it up at J&R for $800.

At 90% Movies and 10% Music, this was the best receiver for me. The big selling points for me was the Fantastic build quality, Great bass management, 6 channel amp, upgradable firmware and a 5 year parts and labor warranty.

IMO, the absolute Best bang for the buck. I love the sound and video switching on this receiver.

Features

Three 32-Bit Processors: This receiver employs three 32-bit processors, providing ultra-precise surround decoding for DTS-ES, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Surround EX and Dolby Pro Logic II, plus Sony's Virtual Matrix 6.1 and Digital Cinema Sound modes.

6-Channel Amplifier: This receiver drives 110 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 6 channels of power.

6.1-Channel Decoding: This unit is equipped to decode 6.1-channel signals. In addition to the standard 5.1 channels, some movies now encode a sixth channel, the surround back. The surround back channel improves the realism of sounds panned across the rear soundstage.

Video Surround Modes:

Normal Surround: Normal Surround includes the following modes:
Dolby Digital
Dolby Pro Logic II: enjoy 2-channel stereo recordings in stunning 5.1-channel surround playback. The Dolby Pro Logic II decoder reproduces dynamic 5.1-channel surround sound not only from normal 5.1-channel DVD but from 2-channel sources as well. In Dolby Pro Logic II, there is a Movie mode that creates a sound space suitable for movies, a Music mode that does the same for music, and a Pro Logic emulation feature that reproduces sound effects in the way that conventional Pro Logic does.
DTS
Dolby Digital Surround EX: the Surround EX System allows you to play movies that employ a matrix system to produce 6.1 channels from a 5.1-channel film soundtrack
DTS-ES Extended Surround: DTS-ES includes the Surround Back (SB; also known as Surround Rear) channel in addition to the existing 5.1 surround channels of front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, and LFE, enabling surround playback from a total of 6.1 channels. Due to differences in surround signal recording methods, DTS-ES offers two types of signal formats:
DTS-ES Discrete 6.1: Discrete 6.1 utilizes the digital discrete method to record all 6.1 channels, including the newly-added surround back channel, as independent channels. Since the surround left, surround right, and surround back channels are fully independent, sound can be freely designed and sound images can move freely and rapidly amongst each other within a background sound that envelopes the room from all sides.
DTS-ES Matrix 6.1: in the Matrix 6.1 format, the surround back channel is matrix encoded in advance to the surround left and surround right channels, and when a matrix decoder plays them back, they are decoded into separate surround left, surround right, and surround back channels.
DTS Neo:6 Surround: featuring the newest DTS matrix processing technology, the DTS Neo:6 function provides up to 6.1-channel surround sound from conventional stereo sources, and can be used with virtually any 2-channel stereo source, analog or digital. Two modes are provided: Neo:6 Cinema is optimized for surround encoded stereo movie soundtracks, while Neo:6 Music mode is optimized for superior surround sound with stereo music sources.
Cinema Studio Ex. A: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony Pictures Entertainment's classic editing studio; uses the 3D sound imaging of the Virtual Multi Dimension mode to create 5 sets of virtual surround speakers from one pair of actual surround speakers
Cinema Studio Ex. B: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony Pictures Entertainment's mixing studio; uses the 3D sound imaging of the Virtual Multi Dimension mode to create 5 sets of virtual surround speakers from one pair of actual surround speakers
Cinema Studio Ex. C: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony Pictures Entertainment's BGM recording studio; uses the 3D sound imaging of the Virtual Multi Dimension mode to create 5 sets of virtual surround speakers from one pair of actual surround speakers
Semi Cinema Studio Ex. A: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony Pictures Entertainment's classic editing studio; uses the 3D sound imaging of the Virtual Semi Multi Dimension mode to create 5 sets of virtual surround speakers surrounding the listener using only the front left and front right speakers
Semi Cinema Studio Ex. B: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony Pictures Entertainment's mixing studio; uses the 3D sound imaging of the Virtual Semi Multi Dimension mode to create 5 sets of virtual surround speakers surrounding the listener using only the front left and front right speakers
Semi Cinema Studio Ex. C: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony Pictures Entertainment's BGM recording studio; uses the 3D sound imaging of the Virtual Semi Multi Dimension mode to create 5 sets of virtual surround speakers surrounding the listener using only the front left and front right speakers
Night Theater: allows you to retain a theater-like environment while listening at low volume levels
Mono Movie: creates a theater-like environment from movies with monaural soundtracks
Stereo Movie: creates a theater-like environment from movies recorded with stereo soundtracks
Virtual Multi Dimension: uses 3D sound imaging to create an array of virtual rear speakers positioned higher than the listener from a single pair of actual rear speakers. This mode creates 5 sets of virtual speakers surrounding you at approximately a 30-degree angle of elevation
Virtual Multi Rear: uses 3D sound imaging to create 3 sets of virtual rear speakers from one set of actual surround speakers
V.Semi-M. Dimension: uses 3D sound imaging to create virtual rear speakers from the sound of the front speakers without using actual rear speakers. It creates 5 sets of speakers surrounding the listener at a 30-degree angle of elevation.
Virtual Enhanced A: uses 3D sound imaging to create 3 sets of virtual rear speakers from the sound of the front speakers
Virtual Enhanced B: uses 3D sound imaging to create 1 set of virtual rear speakers from the sound of the front speakers
Audio Surround Modes:

Digital Concert Hall A: reproduces the sonic characteristics of the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, which is famous for its large sound stage due to its reflectivity
Digital Concert Hall B: reproduces the sonic characteristics of the Musikverein in Vienna, which is famous for its hall resonance and unique reverberations
Church: reproduces the acoustics of a stone church
Opera House: reproduces the acoustics of an opera house
Jazz Club: reproduces the acoustics of a jazz club
Disco/Club: reproduces the acoustics of a dance club
Live House: reproduces the acoustics of a 300-seat live house
Arena: reproduces the acoustics of a 1000-seat concert hall
Stadium: reproduces the feeling of a large open-air stadium
Game: obtains maximum audio impact from video game software
Headphone Audio Modes: When headphones are connected, you can select the following sound fields:

2CH: outputs the sound in stereo. Standard 2-channel sources completely bypass the sound field processing. Multi-channel surround formats are downmixed to 2-channels.
Direct: outputs the analog signals without digital processing
Theater: allows you to experience a theater-like environment
Auto Format Decoding: Automatically detects the type of audio signal being input (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic, 2-channel) and performs the proper decoding without adding any effects.

96kHz Sampling Frequency Compatibility: The coaxial and optical digital input jacks are compatible with 96kHz, 48kHz, 44.1kHz and 32kHz sampling frequencies.

Bass Management:

Front Speakers: you may select "LARGE" or "SMALL"
Center Speaker: you may select "NO", "LARGE", or "SMALL". If the front speakers are set to "SMALL", the center speaker cannot be set to "LARGE".
Surround Speakers: you may select "NO", "LARGE" or "SMALL". If the front speakers are set to "SMALL", the surround speakers cannot be set to "LARGE".
Surround Back Speaker: you may select "NO", "LARGE", or "SMALL". If the front speakers are set to "SMALL", the surround back speaker cannot be set to "LARGE".
Surround Back L/R: you may select "YES" or "NO". If you select "YES", you can use the center speaker as the surround back right and the surround back speaker as the surround back left. Note: The center speaker must be set to "NO".
Subwoofer: you may select "YES" or "NO"
Subwoofer Phase Polarity: you may select "NORMAL" or "REVERSE"
Surround Speaker Position: when using rear speakers, this setting is used for proper operation of the sound fields that create virtual rear speakers; you may select "SIDE", "MIDDLE" or "BEHIND"
Surround Speaker Height: you may select "LOW" or "HIGH"
Front Speaker Crossover: when the front speakers are set to "SMALL", you can adjust the front speaker bass crossover frequency from 40Hz to 200Hz in 10Hz increments
Center Speaker Crossover: when the center speaker is set to "SMALL", you can adjust the center speaker bass crossover frequency from 40Hz to 200Hz in 10Hz increments
Surround Speaker Crossover: when the surround speakers are set to "SMALL", you can adjust the surround speaker bass crossover frequency from 40Hz to 200Hz in 10Hz increments
Surround Back Speaker Crossover: when the surround back speaker is set to "SMALL", you can adjust the surround back speaker bass crossover frequency from 40Hz to 200Hz in 10Hz increments
LFE High-Cut Filter: allows you to adjust the LFE high-cut frequency from 40Hz to 200Hz in 10Hz increments
Test Tone: the test tone feature allows you to independently adjust the volume level of each channel
Sound Field Customizing: Depending on the Mode selected, you can adjust the following parameters:

Effect Level: the "presence" of the surround effect may be adjusted in 0% to 100% in 5% increments
Wall Type (wall material simulation): 17 steps from hard to soft
Reverberation Time: may be adjusted in 17 steps
Front Reverberation: when using Digital Concert Hall A or B, you can select "WET" to increase front reverberations, or "DRY" to decrease front reverberations
Screen Depth: this feature allows you to adjust the sound so it appears to be coming from inside your TV screen; you may turn this feature off, or it may be set to "MID" or "DEEP"
Virtual Speakers: allows you to turn the virtual speakers created by "Cinema Studio EX A, B, C" and "Semi Cinema Studio EX A, B, C" off or on
Front Balance: the balance can be adjusted +/-8 steps
Surround Balance: the balance can be adjusted +/-8 steps
Surround Back Balance: the balance can be adjusted +/-8 steps
Center Level: the level may be adjusted in 1dB steps from -20dB to +10dB
Surround Level: the level may be adjusted in 1dB steps from -20dB to +10dB
Surround Back Level: the level may be adjusted in 1dB steps from -20dB to +10dB
Sub Woofer Level: the level may be adjusted in 1dB steps from -20dB to +10dB
LFE Mix: lowers the level of the LFE channel output. You may select "OFF" (mute), or the level may be set from -20 to 0dB in 1dB steps. Note that this effects only the LFE channel, not the bass sent to the sub through bass redirection circuitry.
Dynamic Range Compressor: you may select standard compression, maximum compression or a compression level from 0.1 to 0.9, in 0.1 steps; the dynamic range compressor feature may be turned off. When active, the dynamic range compressor feature compresses the audio output so there is less variation in volume from Dolby Digital sources; this feature does not work with DTS sources
EQ: you may select one of 23 treble frequencies (ranging from 1kHz to 10kHz), one of 37 mid frequencies (ranging from 198Hz to 10kHz), and one of 21 bass frequencies (ranging from 99Hz to 1kHz) for each channel. You can adjust the level of those frequencies +/-10dB, in 1 dB steps
3-room/3-source Capability: This unit is equipped with stereo RCA jacks and an RCA composite video jack to send an A/V signal to a receiver or amplifier in a second room. A set of speaker outputs allows you to power stereo speakers in a third room. The same source or different sources may be played in the main room, the 2nd room, and the 3rd room.

Note: The 3rd room speaker outputs are powered using the surround back channel and the center channel amplifiers. If a surround sound mode is selected for the main room and the 3rd room speaker outputs are used, no output will be heard from the center and surround back channels in the main room; the signals that might normally go to the center and surround back channels will be distributed among the remaining speakers, so no information will be lost during playback.

Multi Channel Input: Although this unit features built-in Dolby Digital and DTS processing, it also has a 5.1 multi-channel input and a 7.1 multi-channel input for use with external multi-channel decoders, including potential future units such as multi-channel SACD players and DVD Audio players.

Station and Source Naming: Each preset station and program source may be given an index name of up to 8 characters. For example, two VCRs can be displayed as 8MM and VHS.

Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 2 hours, 1 hour and 30 minutes, 1 hour, or 30 minutes.

Dimmer: There are 5 levels of display brightness.

Remote Control

Multibrand/Learning Remote: The supplied remote is pre-coded to control Sony A/V equipment and most brands of VCRs, TVs, LD players, DVD players, Video CD players, CD players, MD recorders, tape decks, DAT decks, cable boxes, DSS receivers, and projectors. In addition, this remote can learn up to 80 infrared commands from remotes of other components.

2-Way Communication: The remote uses 2-way communication with the receiver; this is to display information stored in the receiver on the display of the remote. This does make the unit incompatible with any type of infrared repeater circuit.

Macro Play: Up to 2 macros, each with a maximum of 16 steps, can be stored in the remote, allowing you to perform a series of operations at the push of a button.

2nd Room Remote: A separate remote is supplied for the second room and must be used with an optional IR repeater to control the basic functions of the receiver. Using the second remote, you can turn the receiver on or off, adjust the volume, switch sources, select a sound field, and control basic functions of the connected components.

Inputs and Outputs

Front Panel:

Phones: standard gold-plated headphone jack
Video 3 Input: gold-plated stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
Rear Panel:

Antenna Inputs: FM Coax and AM spring clip antenna inputs
CD/SACD Optical Digital Input: Toslink optical digital input with a protective plastic cover
MD/DAT Optical Digital Input: Toslink optical digital input with a protective plastic cover
TV/SAT Optical Digital Input: Toslink optical digital input with a protective plastic cover
DVD/LD Optical Digital Input: Toslink optical digital input with a protective plastic cover. Note: This is NOT AC-3 RF; if you are using a LaserDisc with AC-3 RF output, a demodulator must be purchased separately and connected between the LD player and this unit!
MD/DAT Optical Digital Output: Toslink optical digital output with a protective plastic cover
CD/SACD Coaxial Digital Input: gold-plated coaxial digital jack
DVD/LD Coaxial Digital Input: gold-plated coaxial digital jack. Note: This is NOT AC-3 RF; if you are using a LaserDisc with AC-3 RF output, a demodulator must be purchased separately and connected between the LD player and this unit!
Phono Input: gold-plated stereo RCA jacks with ground screw
CD/SACD Input: gold-plated stereo RCA jacks
MD/DAT Input/Output: gold-plated stereo RCA jacks
Tape Input/Output: gold-plated stereo RCA jacks
TV/SAT Input: gold-plated stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack, S-video jack and component video jacks (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "PB/B-Y" and "PR/R-Y")
DVD/LD Input: gold-plated stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack, S-video jack and component video jacks (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "PB/B-Y" and "PR/R-Y")
Video 2 Input/Output: gold-plated stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jacks and S-video jacks
Video 1 Input/Output: gold-plated stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jacks and S-video jacks
Monitor Output: gold-plated RCA composite video jack, S-video jack and component video jacks (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "PB/B-Y" and "PR/R-Y")
Multi-Channel Input 1: this is a 7.1 multi-channel input consisting of gold-plated left front, right front, center, left rear, right rear, surround back, and subwoofer RCA inputs, plus an RCA jack that is not labeled, for use with external multi-channel decoders
Multi-Channel Input 2: this is a 5.1 multi-channel input consisting of gold-plated left front, right front, center, left rear, right rear and subwoofer RCA inputs for use with external multi channel decoders
Preamp Outputs: 9 gold-plated RCA jacks (front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, surround back, two subwoofers, and an RCA jack that is not labeled)
2ND Room Output: gold-plated stereo RCA jacks and RCA composite video jack for use with an optional amplifier
RS-232C Port: this jack is intended for use in the manufacturing and servicing of this unit
Control A1II: A1II mini-jack output
Control S: 2 Control S mini-jack inputs and 2 Control S mini-jack outputs
Speakers: binding post outputs for front, surround, surround back, center, and 3rd room speakers (not 5-way, because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs and they are positioned too far apart to be used with dual banana plugs)
AC Outlets: 2 switched AC outlets (120W/1A Max)
AC In: AC jack for use with the supplied AC power cord
Impedance Selector Switch
Notes

Backup Memory: Once a sound field is customized, the changes are stored in memory indefinitely, unless the receiver is disconnected from power for about 1 week. If the receiver is disconnected from power for about 1 week, all of the tuner presets will be cleared from the receiver's memory.

Warranty: Some units may be incorrectly packed with a 3 year warranty card. The correct warranty for this unit is 5 years parts and labor.
Old 05-14-02, 08:19 AM

I would tend to choose a Denon or marantz over Sony in that price. Those two companies right now are putting out the best receivers. You are going to get the most quality out of your money from them, their amps are top notch. They are built like a tank. I couldn't believe how good a marantz sounded when I first listened to one, it is just amazing how clear and full sounding their amps are. Denon and marantz just can't be beat touched right now. Only with companies like Rotel, NAD, and Onkyo Integra coming close.
Old 05-14-02, 09:00 AM
dgc

I would tend to choose a Denon or marantz over Sony in that price. Those two companies right now are putting out the best receivers. You are going to get the most quality out of your money from them, their amps are top notch. They are built like a tank. I couldn't believe how good a marantz sounded when I first listened to one, it is just amazing how clear and full sounding their amps are. Denon and marantz just can't be beat touched right now. Only with companies like Rotel, NAD, and Onkyo Integra coming close.
It all depends what models you are demoing and what your using the reciever for. As I have stated above, I use my sony receiver for 90% HT and 10% music.

I spent many hours demoing many receivers. For HT, The SONY STR-DA5ES outperformed all receivers including the Denon or Marantz in the $800 - $2,000 price range. The Sony is a bit brighter for music (this also depends on what speakers your using) but for HT it is absolutely the biggest bang for the buck.

I never thought I would own a Sony Receiver but I got to go with what my ears and wallet were telling me.

Go to hometheaterforum.com for more reviews of the Sony ES line of receivers.
Old 05-14-02, 09:12 AM

I don't agree with you at all with the Sony outperforming the Denon and marantz for HT, I didn't think it was any thing special at all compared to equal Denon and marantz receivers.

I don't mean to get into a pissing contest here, but after all the time I have spent with HT equipment, and continue to spend with HT equipment. I have absolutly no respect for most of Sony's products, especially their receivers and speakers. There only real place they shine in HT is there TVs and I still... I am getting a new rear projection HDTV this summer and there is no way I am touching a Sony, they are no good, it is mainly between Mitsu and Pioneer right now with outside hopes from Toshiba and Panasonic.

Last edited by zargon; 05-14-02 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-14-02, 09:31 AM

I would never say that Denon or Marantz are putting out the best receivers. They are putting out very good receivers, but "THE BEST", that is a tough word to choose. I would take a Theta over both of them. And some others too. Everybody has an opinion, and I always say, listen to a bunch, and choose the one that best suits your needs.
Old 05-14-02, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by JBabbitt
......Everybody has an opinion, and I always say, listen to a bunch, and choose the one that best suits your needs.
I agree with this completely. Everyone has their loyalties to certain brands and they are typically swayed by those loyalties. I may prefer Sony or Denon and think that HK an Onkyo are junk but the next guy might think I am smoking crack and don't have a f'in clue. Take everyone's word with a grain of salt, everyone seems to be an "expert" online, just get what you like the most.

Also, I would search around for good prices. I really wanted a Denon AVR-4802 but when I saw it was $2,500 I got disinterested very fast. Lately I have been searching and have found it at about 5 different places for $1,650!! That's almost a grand lower than I originally thought I would have to pay...moral of the story...check around, you never know what you will find.

By the way, I have always been a Sony fan throughout High School and College. Lately I have started looking into higher priced/quality components for my home(because I make more money than I did in HS & College). I still have a bunch of Sony stuff, but I have become a little less brand loyal and have gone with recommendations (i.e. Toshiba 2109 DVD player recommended by the DVD Talker's so long ago). Good luck!!
Old 05-14-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am getting a new rear projection HDTV this summer ... it is mainly between Mitsu and Pioneer right now with outside hopes from Toshiba and Panasonic.
What models are you considering? 16:9?

I am looking into the Toshiba 57HX81 widescreen TV. What are the ballpark prices on the Mistsubishi's and Pioneer's??
Old 05-14-02, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Chevy or Ford?

Get it?
Old 05-14-02, 11:29 AM
dgc

I don't agree with you at all with the Sony outperforming the Denon and marantz for HT, I didn't think it was any thing special at all compared to equal Denon and marantz receivers.

I don't mean to get into a pissing contest here, but after all the time I have spent with HT equipment, and continue to spend with HT equipment. I have absolutly no respect for most of Sony's products, especially their receivers and speakers. There only real place they shine in HT is there TVs and I still... I am getting a new rear projection HDTV this summer and there is no way I am touching a Sony, they are no good, it is mainly between Mitsu and Pioneer right now with outside hopes from Toshiba and Panasonic.
No pissing contest here but you are making blanketing statements with no refrences to model numbers or price ranges. What specific brand/models numbers/price ranges are you comparing.

If your comparing the Denon 5803 (MSRP $4300) or the Marantz SR9200 (MSRP $3199) to any of the Sony's, I don't think that would be a fair comparision. I compared the the Denon AVR-3802 (MSRP $999 - can be had for about $800), AVR-4802 (MSRP $2499) and the Marantz SR8200 to my SONY STR-DA5ES (MSRP $1500 - I paid $800) and IMO for HT it performed the best. I did think the Denon's sounded better for music, but as I mention I'm using my receiver for 90% HT/movies.
Old 05-14-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would never say that Denon or Marantz are putting out the best receivers. They are putting out very good receivers, but "THE BEST", that is a tough word to choose. I would take a Theta over both of them. And some others too. Everybody has an opinion, and I always say, listen to a bunch, and choose the one that best suits your needs.
I don't really think comparing a sub $1000 Denon or Marantz receiver to a Theta is even a fair comparison! Why don't we compare some KLH speakers to B&W Nautilus instead

Denon, Onkyo and Marantz DO make the best sub $1000 receivers though. The price/performance/features ratio is very high.

Simply put:
The Sonys amps are dirty and the power specs they claim are highly over rated.

Sony owners, how can you explain an $800 Sony receiver rated at 100 watts per channel only putting out 31 watts per channel in a real world tests?

Zargon,

Funny how the Sony faithful didn't resond until they saw a negative OPINION and then they jump in trying to defend there product again

Sorry I just find it funny cause it happens every time

Anyways, don't take the whole thing too seriously people, have fun!
Old 05-14-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ahhhh people spewing more BS about Sony! Why don't you post a link showing the Sony ES receivers having 31 watts when they are rated at 100! Why because there is no link to be had! You obviously NEVER heard saw a Sony ES receiver or you would look like such a fool posting the BS you are! Now if you were talking about the Sony DE line I would tend to agree but snce we are talking about the Sony ES line I you MUST be talking about them especially with your blanket statement about the Sonys.

Last edited by Frank S; 05-14-02 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-14-02, 12:44 PM

No pissing contest here but you are making blanketing statements with no refrences to model numbers or price ranges. What specific brand/models numbers/price ranges are you comparing.
I did give a refrence to a price range... this to be exact.

I would tend to choose a Denon or marantz over Sony in that price.
I have said, before... ES is diffently Sony's best line, but I have also said that I have no respect for Sony products. Sony had its glory in the 80's and in the early 90's. They really seems to care about marketing more and advertising, a great example of this is how they rate their receivers. They like to use a peak rating instead of rms so their results look better.

What models are you considering? 16:9?

I am looking into the Toshiba 57HX81 widescreen TV. What are the ballpark prices on the Mistsubishi's and Pioneer's??
Mitsu's start around $2100 for their 46" and Pioneer's start around $4000 for there entry level. Pioneer Elite probably make some of the best RPTV's out there. Not sure what I am getting yet, but what ever I get... going to get it at cost at my local Audio King.
Old 05-14-02, 12:52 PM

How can anyone make a statement that says for receivers that are less than $1000, "these are the best"???? I think that is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Every person has their own taste. Every person has different needs. Some of these receivers are better for music, and some are better for dialogue and Home theater. To say a certain brand is the best in this price range, is an opinion and nothing more. I cannot believe that you are stating this.
Old 05-14-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How can anyone make a statement that says for receivers that are less than $1000, "these are the best"???? I think that is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Every person has their own taste. Every person has different needs. Some of these receivers are better for music, and some are better for dialogue and Home theater. To say a certain brand is the best in this price range, is an opinion and nothing more. I cannot believe that you are stating this.
Exactly! If you want to post that "in my opinion"... that's fine but to make statements like Brand X is THE best... just shows how truly bias your statement is! And the rediculous statements like "Sony Receivers have only 31 true watts when theyare rated at 100" just makes the poster look like a Sony bashing fool who can't discuss the topic intelligently so he stoops to throwing out unfounded/non-existant test results!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.