Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Some A/V Receiver advice?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all

I am looking for a simple, suitable A/V receiver for my needs.

I have a playstation, gamecube, satelite, and other things
Right now I just want something to hook them all up to on my TV. But am obviously going to be adding on speakers as the time goes by

I want to pay UNDER $300

I do NOT need anything FANTASTIC or EXTRAVAGENT

I do not care about having the best amp on the market, the most watts, etc,etc.

I have been looking at the JVC RX-8010

It is going for about $280 shipped

It has 5 A/V inputs (including S-Video)
3 S-video Outputs
2 Component Inputs
1 Component Ouput

I am all about inputs!

As long as it sounds descent and nice (which this one will) that is great. Sufficient sound, and Lots of space for inputs and future expandibility like Component inputs/outputs

It must have DTS and DD 5.1, but DD PL2 would be EVEN better!

Someone suggested a comparable "Onkyo" brand. It lacked sufficient inputs and had NO Component inputs, so unfortunately that won't work

Any ideas? I am open to any brand at all. And if you have come here to bash whatever suggestions I get or make, or just want to bash brands, don't bother posting.

Crap like that got the last thread filled with rubbish and got it closed. I realize there are some people out there who LOVE wasting money on "awsume systems YO!", and bashing systems that don't cost over $800, but just keep things simple. And don't get the thread closed with your nonsense again.

What do you all think? Thanks in advance
Old 04-14-02, 02:20 PM

I still stick to Onkyo or Yamaha since I feel they are going to give you a better receiver for your money, but I think Circuit City still sells Sherwood which is worth a look.
Old 04-14-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by zargon
I still stick to Onkyo or Yamaha since I feel they are going to give you a better receiver for your money, but I think Circuit City still sells Sherwood which is worth a look.
The Onkyo is out for me. Just does not meet my input needs. But is there a Yamaha you can recommend ?

What do you own?

and, by the way, thanks for your posts and input in the other thread!
Old 04-14-02, 06:22 PM

Good, I wasn't sure if you thought I was one of the people bashing in the last thread. I didn't say anything about Yamaha because I haven't really looked at receivers in a long time due to I am working on getting a amp/pre-amp system. I think I heard someone that they are releasing their new models. I can't find any info on that off hand though.

As for me I own a marantz SR-8000, old model which the SR-7200 replaced, but minus the DPLII, dts-es and extra amp, mine is better. Been a very good receiver and has a ton of connection, but I am sure it is a tad out of your price range at $1200 and I think the cheapest marantz is going to run you $400.

I know you are trying to keep the price down, but if you need more connection I really think you should save up more and jump into some of the higher entry level receivers. At around $400 it will open companies such as Denon, marantz and H/K. That is just my suggestion because I don't really put JVC in high regard when it comes to HT equipment. Getting a better receiver will also help if you plan on keeping it for a while, you will get more options and more power for other upgrades later on down the road.