Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question on calibrating to 85db reference vs. some relative volume level???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-02, 02:53 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A long time ago I calibrated with the help of a friend and his SPL and VE. Now that I have my own SPL. Once My long awiated copy of Avia arrives next week, I will be recalibrating.

Is there any negative reasons against choosing some lower volume level and setting the speakers to the same relative level, as opposed to getting to a 75-85 db level for all?

I guess the question could also be asked if you set at a lower volume level, will the balance still be there once you crank the volume higher?

My paranoia comes from wondering if I woulc hurt my speakers by calibrating at the higher level (i.e., what if I accidentaly switched sources and spiked the volume).

I know that sounds sort of silly, but it is a silly fear nonetheless.

Maybe another question to ask is, where do I put the volume knob to start the process of calibrating to 85db with Avia? My knob on my Yamaha RXV795 is the typical rotates from about 7 oclock to 5 oclock......

I know its all relative, but I never understood exactly where to start when doing a calibration. Obviously you push the levels on the speakers up, but you only have so much headroom you can add and I always thought that if I were like, +10 on everything I could be degrading the signals......

So, with all my silly ramblings, what do you all recommend for how to start doing a calibration on my own (for the first time in the 3+ years I have had my system).....

Thanks ahead of time.....
Old 04-13-02, 08:17 PM

Re: Question on calibrating to 85db reference vs. some relative volume level???

Originally posted by JLB
Is there any negative reasons against choosing some lower volume level and setting the speakers to the same relative level, as opposed to getting to a 75-85 db level for all?

I guess the question could also be asked if you set at a lower volume level, will the balance still be there once you crank the volume higher?
No. Once the speakers are calibrated relative to each other, volume level won't affect balance (for the most part).

Maybe another question to ask is, where do I put the volume knob to start the process of calibrating to 85db with Avia? My knob on my Yamaha RXV795 is the typical rotates from about 7 oclock to 5 oclock......
The Avia disk has a good tutorial on how to do this, and I suggest you watch the intro the first time. Basically, play the test tone to the left front speaker and adjust volume until the SPL meter at your listening position is at 85db. Check the right front after that. You may have to bounce between those two tones, adjusting L-R balance and master volume until both front speakers are at 85db.

The center is much easier, just adjust the center level on your receiver to 85db at the Avia center tone. The rear speakers will be another juggling act between rear level and balance.

The reason for using 85db on Avia (and 75db on Video Essentials) is this should put your master volume at 'reference' levels for watching DVDs. Some DVDs are mastered at different levels and, according to my wife, 'reference' level is too $#@* loud!

The most important thing is to pick _one_ level and use Avia to calibrate all of the speakers to that level. The improvement is dramatic

Last edited by Lazlo Hollyfeld; 04-13-02 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-15-02, 09:40 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Basically, play the test tone to the left front speaker and adjust volume until the SPL meter at your listening position is at 85db.

But do you mean adjust volume with the speaker settings or the master volume?

I guess I want to ask is it better to have reference point A where all your speakers are at 0 Dbs to reach 75/85 or reference Point B which might be higher on the volume knob itself, but with all of the speakers set at, say, -10Db to achieve reference?

So, is it better to have the main volume higher with the individual speakers cranked down in the settings, or is it better to have all the speakers set to app. their max with the main a bit lower?
Old 04-16-02, 11:23 PM

I looked at the 795's manual, so I wouldn't give you any bum information. The speaker levels are set by:

Master Volume
L-R balance
center level
L surround level
R surround level
subwoofer level

So, the only way of adjusting levels for the left and right front speakers is the master volume and balance. The following is the hastily written Lazlo Hollyfeld Speaker Calibration routine:

Put the SPL meter at ear level at your listening position (I stack two milk crates on my recliner). With Avia's (or the receiver's internal) test tone for the left front speaker, adjust the master volume until your SPL meter reads 85db. Now, check the level at the right front speaker. It may well be a few db higher or lower than the left front - let's assume for for example's sake it's at 80db. You'd want to turn the balance slightly to the right to increase the right level to about 83db. Go back and check the left front (remember, you adjusted the balance to the right, which will lower the left). With any luck, it will also be about 83db. Turn the master volume back up until the left front is at 85db again. Check the right front. Lather, rinse, repeat between master volume and balance until both front speakers are at 85db.

The hard part is done! Your receiver has individual level controls for center and both surround speakers. Simply adjust the level for each speaker per their respective test tone until each on is at 85db. You now have all five speakers calibrated to your listening position. Remember the location of the volume dial if you want to listen at reference level. Even if you turn the volume down, all five speakers will still be at the same level relative to each other, so it's all good.