Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with my Trinitron screen.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-04-02, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 27" Sony Trinitron Model KV-27V66. About a year ago, I noticed that the tube was producing the picture turned about 10 degrees clockwise. I first noticed it playing Prefect Dark, because I could see the thin color bar that runs across the top of the game. Since I first noticed it, I have moved from one house to another with no change- better or worse. It is constant: DVD, VCR, N64, Gamecube, 2 different digital cable recievers. Also, white text in video games is a little skewed, as though the guns aren't calibrated.
Is there anything I can do? If not, is it worth having fixed?

Thanks
Old 03-04-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so the picture is slanted? If that model has a tilt control try that(although I don't think it does). If not, the only way to fix it is to have a repair guy come out, open up the back of the set, loosen the yoke and rotate it. I had a KV27-S42 for a week and I had a guy come out and adjust it. He improved it but it still was slanted. This, and overall dissatisfaction with the TV I ended up returning it and got a Samsung Dynaflat. Anyhow, unless you know how to repair a TV, you can't do this yourself. It's very dangerous in the back of a TV so don't try it unless you're familiar with CRT tubes. If not, call up a repair guy.
Old 03-04-02, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Wega had a similar problem, but was corrected using the tilt control as mentioned. Look in your menus for an option, if not the service menus may have a solution for your problems.

This website provides an invaluable resource for adjusting parameters in ther service menu. Be sure to take the advice and write down all original values you may change. You could really screw up your set if you lose track of what changes you make.

J
Old 03-04-02, 11:28 PM

Thanks J! I'll check that out.
Old 03-05-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most of the Non wega trinitrons do not have raster rotation capabilities(to tilt the picture) so thus even the service menu won't help. I think only the 32" and large ones do. If you've got the 27" I doubt you'll be able to fix it without having the yoke rotated.
Old 03-05-02, 09:36 PM

I think you're right, dfbennett. I couldn't even get into the service menu. Can someone give be a ballpark figure of what I can expect to pay for yoke rotation?
Thanks all!