Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about test discs

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-05-02, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be getting a new flat screen TV and receiver in the next month and want a good test disc to calibrate them. I'm also going to get a SPL meter. I've tried to find info on the "best" test disc but am falling short, so I thought I'd go to you guys, my best source for info so far. I'm interested in either Avia, Video Essentials, or Sound and Vision. It would help if you've used more than one and could compare them. Also, why did you choose it over others? Thanks guys.

gimmedvd
Old 03-05-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I purchased my copy of VE simply because it was out first.

This is a common question and the answer almost always is that they are both good given that they have a few differences.
Old 03-05-02, 05:55 PM

I am in the same boat as you and have been perusing the threads to find out which one is the best. After a month of research, I decided to go with the AVIA disc because of all the good reviews I found. Go to amazon.com and bring up AVIA, VE, and Sound and Vision DVD's and read the reader reviews. You will see that AVIA walks away with the crown hands down. Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-02, 06:48 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

It depends on what your are planning to do. How willing are you to get into the service menus and fiddle with things? If you have no problem doing that The Avia Test disk is probably best for you. If you want to do just what you can with your controls on your Televisions Standard Menu the Sound and Vision Disk will Save you 20 bucks and will be quite enough. I own both

edited to ad that both of these disks are made by the same company one just has many less test patterns and gives you an overview in simplistic terms what each of the major screens will do. It also has a couple of screens copied directly off the Avia disk
Old 03-05-02, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Avia DVD which is the most expensive DVD I own. TV's look better when properly calibrated but everybody has different opinions as to how. My $2000 Sony XBR doesn't look great with the Avia setup. It does look great however with the THX Optimode setup found free on many movies. You can find it on T2 U.E., Cast Away, Planet of the Apes or many other DVD's. I have not used my Avia disc since I found this out.
Old 03-05-02, 11:50 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just be careful with some of the Optimodes, they are specific for each disk and are not for all disks all the time, Also the test tones are not to be used for sound calibration it even says so on TPM. They are at least 3 dB down in the surrounds. These are good for that disk and that disk only, but for starters they will get you reasonably close
Old 03-06-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have owned both VE and AVIA

They are both good in the video department and both do a good job.

I prefer AVIA for sound calibration though as it has many more test tones and frequency sweeps.