Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Bose using deceptive tactics?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-26-02, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought everyone might get a kick out of this Bose thread. Bose Pro, any response to this??

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=52514
Old 02-26-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

nice pick up.
I can't say that I'm surprised. I feel that Bose markets an inferior product at inflated prices brought on by name recognition and ignorance.

I appreciate Bose Pro's insider's point of view on things, and his willingness to speak up when people are trashing Bose gear. That said, I tend to disagree with him about the product line in question. However, others can, will, and should be able to argue the point here.

Old 02-27-02, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great link, and like some people over there said, I can't say I'm surprised.
Old 02-27-02, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I saw the thread and I am not surpised.

Marketing is Marketing and people that convince themselves that they need "the little cube speakers" are not really interested in quality audio reproduction. They are more interested in designer aesthetics.
Old 02-27-02, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

This is not all that uncommon in demos. Usually because the system is a prototype or because of switching tracks is fast with two machines. But this is a bit different.
Old 03-12-02, 01:23 AM

Hi guys. Sorry I haven't posted in quite a long time. I am sure you understand that the Christmas season is incredibly busy in retail.

About this topic, I will give you the inside scoop on the thread you posted. There is a lot of speculation in that thread. There is a huge rack of equipment in each show. Is there an amp? No. Is there a preamp? No. What is there you might ask? There is a bunch of stuff made by Tascam. It is controls that bring together the sound, slides, and lights. And yes, the Bose Lifestyle system is powering the entire show. If these guys new a bit more about the "wider" scheme of electronics, he would have realized that there is a lot that goes into running a light, audio, and video show. And if anyone does not believe me, come by my store and I will personally show you this rack of equipment.

To go on, all the responses to this thread are of people that have little clue about Bose. If they would even research the Lifestyle 28/35 models, they would realize there claims are false and make them look somewhat "ignorant."

So that's my input. The Bose show is in NO WAY MISLEADING. What you see is what you are listening to.
Old 03-12-02, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bose Suck!!!!

They suck because what you get and what you pay for is just not right. ALL MIDS!!!!!!

Last edited by TheKobra; 03-12-02 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-12-02, 09:43 AM
Premium Member

Also what you guys do not understand is in this kind of system the amplifier section has EQ to adjust for the response of the speakers. Many companies do this with powered systems (if they dont they are stupid). The bottom line is the system would sound worse on a standard amp (without eq). This is a system design not a passive speaker.

Last edited by bfrank; 03-12-02 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-13-02, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Marketing is Marketing and people that convince themselves that they need "the little cube speakers" are not really interested in quality audio reproduction. They are more interested in designer aesthetics.
*coughs*   iMac   *coughs*
Old 03-15-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As someone that works in the industry i will say Bose does provide the customer what they want, aesthetics and ease of use. To some this is more important than top of the line sound quality. You say their high priced, that is your mind set because to you and we put a higher value on sound quality, people that buy bose value the things I have stated above. Do I like Bose, not really, are they marketed good, yes, are they a value to some people, most definetly.
Old 03-16-02, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kman1011
As someone that works in the industry i will say Bose does provide the customer what they want, aesthetics and ease of use. To some this is more important than top of the line sound quality. You say their high priced, that is your mind set because to you and we put a higher value on sound quality, people that buy bose value the things I have stated above. Do I like Bose, not really, are they marketed good, yes, are they a value to some people, most definetly.
Well put.
Old 03-16-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bose Pro
What is there you might ask? There is a bunch of stuff made by Tascam. It is controls that bring together the sound, slides, and lights....... And if anyone does not believe me, come by my store and I will personally show you this rack of equipment.

Since I don't plan on trekking to SoCal anytime soon, how about you just give us a list of that rackful of equipment. Thanks.
Old 03-16-02, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the speakers sound decent on an amp other then one made by Bose, whats the big deal?

Alot of people do not buy the whole lifestyle system and just get the speakers paired with an external receiver. Sometimes people's overwhelming hatred of Bose goes way to far.

J
Old 03-16-02, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by roark1138

*coughs*   iMac   *coughs*
But the iMac is touted as the consumer/beginner/student model. It's not supposed to compete with a 'pro' model. Bose cube speakers claim to be just as good or better than pro-line speakers.

But yes, more than one iMac has been sold due to asthetics.
Old 03-16-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama

Since I don't plan on trekking to SoCal anytime soon, how about you just give us a list of that rackful of equipment. Thanks.
I'll have to second the reply by Bose Pro! No trickery involved!

Here's your list...

Equipment in a Bose projection room:

-6 Kodak slide projectors
-2 Super Dove projector controllers
-1 Tascam 8 track DAT player (serves as 5 channel audio source, projection and light control)
-1 Tascam Multi Interface
-1 Smart Pac Digital Controller
-1 Lutron RS232 Light Controller Interface
-1 Lutron Grafik Eye 2000 Series Multi-Scene Preset Light Dimming Controller
-Bose CD20 Music Center, provides background music before show begins
-1 Personal Music Center Remote for the Lifestyle system in use for the show
-1 Chair to sit & wait for the unveil (not present in all stores)

Sorry to burst the mysterious bubble, but there are NO amps utilized during the show other than the one in the Acoustimass Module!

The reason that the projection room is not "open" to the public is to keep the kiddies from playing with the equipment! If you'd like to look at the equipment in a Bose theater projection room, just ASK a Bose employee nicely!!! Sneaking around is not needed!

Well, mystery solved kiddies! You may now resume your hatred for Bose products! You have been educated!

Sonicflood

Last edited by Sonicflood; 03-16-02 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-16-02, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sonicflood
Well, mystery solved kiddies! You may now resume your hatred for Bose products! You have been educated!

Sonicflood
Sorry to burst your 'everyone hates Bose' bubble, but I mearly asked what was in the rack because I was curious what all the fuss was about, and don't have access to any of the Bose demos as described to see for myself. Sorry if my honest question seemed mysterious to you.
I have never bashed Bose (that I can recall) for their clever marketing tactics, and I'm fully aware of what their limited capabilities are for audio reproduction and that there is a market for them, otherwise they wouldn't be in business.
Thanks for the education, but I don't hate Bose any more then any other mass-marketed, underachieving product that is sold by the boatloads to unsuspecting (or uncaring) consumers.
You may now return to your place on the Bose payroll, and continue educating us non-believers
Old 03-17-02, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama

Sorry to burst your 'everyone hates Bose' bubble, but I mearly asked what was in the rack because I was curious what all the fuss was about, and don't have access to any of the Bose demos as described to see for myself. Sorry if my honest question seemed mysterious to you.
I have never bashed Bose (that I can recall) for their clever marketing tactics, and I'm fully aware of what their limited capabilities are for audio reproduction and that there is a market for them, otherwise they wouldn't be in business.
Thanks for the education, but I don't hate Bose any more then any other mass-marketed, underachieving product that is sold by the boatloads to unsuspecting (or uncaring) consumers.
You may now return to your place on the Bose payroll, and continue educating us non-believers
Forgive me if my post/reply seemed a bit harsh. I assumed that you had a dislike for Bose. Although your reply to appears to me as a "bashing" due to your use of words? So I was correct in my assumption.

Your question did not seem mysterious to me, nor did I say that it did! I could not have answered a mysterious question with the detail that I did. I couldnt have been more honest than providing the laundry list that you asked for.

As for the product in question (Lifestyle System) being an underachieving product, It obviously impressed or provided enough curiousity for people to try to find out if it really was a Bose system! Your own curiousity was satisfied as per your request.

You didn't burst any bubble for me, it's alright that you don't like Bose. It's not a cult or anything! Please accept my apologies if you were offended! I personally own Bose AND non-Bose audio products. No one company can meet ALL needs, nor does Bose try to.

Bose does not pay me for this, I have quite a bit of knowledge of Bose products and merely provided an honest answer to you.

Peace,

Sonicflood
Old 03-17-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sonicflood

Forgive me if my post/reply seemed a bit harsh. I assumed that you had a dislike for Bose. Although your reply to appears to me as a "bashing" due to your use of words? So I was correct in my assumption.

Your question did not seem mysterious to me, nor did I say that it did! I could not have answered a mysterious question with the detail that I did. I couldnt have been more honest than providing the laundry list that you asked for.

As for the product in question (Lifestyle System) being an underachieving product, It obviously impressed or provided enough curiousity for people to try to find out if it really was a Bose system! Your own curiousity was satisfied as per your request.

You didn't burst any bubble for me, it's alright that you don't like Bose. It's not a cult or anything! Please accept my apologies if you were offended! I personally own Bose AND non-Bose audio products. No one company can meet ALL needs, nor does Bose try to.

Bose does not pay me for this, I have quite a bit of knowledge of Bose products and merely provided an honest answer to you.

Peace,

Sonicflood
Don't ever assume.
You were not correct in your assumption, as I could care less about Bose, good or bad. I know what their products can and can't do, and I have no use for them. Period. I have never said I don't like them or even...hate them. Anyone that actually would go so far as to conjur up ill felings toward an inanimate object has some serious issues, but that's besides the point.
If not buying a product or pointing out it's shortcomings to others
is considered bashing, then I suppose I'm guilty.
My definiton (and Webster's) differs, but such is life.

The reason I said my post was mysterious was simply based on the fact that you said "mystery solved, kiddies!", made some other comments, then listed the equipment that I asked
BosePro for (who was the person I was responding to, anyway).
And no, you didn't offend me. It would take alot more then some keys clicked on a keyboard to make me do much more then roll my eyes, believe me.

As far as my curiosity...as I said I just stumbled upon this thread and the one in question at the HTF, and since some people were talking about a 'rackful of equipment' used in a Bose demo...thus ended my curiosity.
It takes all types, that's for sure. There will be a market for Bose (and all the other sub/sat HTIB stuff out there) as long as there are people who don't care about quality audio reproduction, and worry more about hiding their equipment then enjoying it properly.
if Bose works for you in your house, great! I'm not going to speak ill of your purchase or choice of brands. After all...this is a free country, where we are free to like or dislike whatever we want. (as long as you don't offend anyone )
Cheers.
Old 03-17-02, 07:18 PM

DVD_O_RAMA:

The product that Sonic listed is the exact product we have in our show except for two: instead of a CD20 we have a CD5 for background music and instead on one seat, we have 19. LOL

Anyhow, let's not get involved in the whole back and forth arguing. I realize that you were just asking a question and that's cool DVD_O_RAMA. I also understand the Sonic has to defend his statements about Bose to "almost" everyone on this board. You are not one. It's just a defense I think most people that don't Bose Bash aquire over time on this board as we get thrashed for posting about Bose and often get sick of the whole Bose bashing thing, especially when they do not present true objectives.

So the show, as Sonic said, has no amps or EQs balancing the sounds. It's a Lifestyle 50 system that does all the work. I would actually love to have someone on this board take a Lifestyle 50 or Lifestyle 35 (newer) home for our 90 day tryout period and give it the only true test anyone can: how does it sound in your home, your movies, your music, for you. I am betting that most people here would change there opinions somewhat.

The one thing I can see about Sonic's point of view is the other thread that mentions this subject is nothing but people assuming Bose is misleading and thinking they are right.

On this thread, it seems more people are asking questions to get a clear answer. That's the way to do it.
Old 03-17-02, 08:49 PM

Hi, I am new here and was introduced by another member of this board. I don't understand why and where people have found their negative attitude toward Bose. Can anyone who is a part of this thread qualify their opinion instead of the; my sister's boyfriends, daughters, half sister's cousin said that "Bose sucks".
Some of you have absolutely no idea how the Bose Music Theater works, yet you have the audacity to tell others on this board that there are equalizers and power amps and preamps that control the speakers? One of you didn't even have an idea to what equipment they were looking at when they saw the "stack" of electronics. I do suggest that you quit with the "I hate" attitude and qualify all that you have said. Any child can say that something sucks.
Old 03-18-02, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by sunnyinsocal
I don't understand why and where people have found their negative attitude toward Bose. Can anyone who is a part of this thread qualify their opinion instead of the; my sister's boyfriends, daughters, half sister's cousin said that "Bose sucks".
Agreed that people should try to speak from experience.

I lived with a pair of 901s for a year. They sucked. I've been to friends' houses where they had a Lifestyle system setup. They really really sucked.

Many friends of mine in college had Bose speakers of varying shapes and sizes. I never liked the sound that came out of any of them.

Originally posted by sunnyinsocal
I do suggest that you quit with the "I hate" attitude and qualify all that you have said. Any child can say that something sucks.
I agree wholeheartedly with the above.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-18-02, 10:26 AM

The problem I have with Bose other than the sound quality to my ears (I have owned 901's and 301's) is the frequency response specs are not included in any of their literature or manuals. Are they afraid to post it, or am I looking in the wrong place?
Old 03-18-02, 10:33 AM
Premium Member

We have measured the system at work!

It has a very good response .

It has tons of EQ designed in (which many manufactures do).

Therefore it would sound worse on a standard amp (without EQ).

Enough said?
Old 03-18-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bfrank
We have measured the system at work!

It has a very good response .

It has tons of EQ designed in (which many manufactures do).

Therefore it would sound worse on a standard amp (without EQ).

Enough said?
Ahhh...real-world measurements. I find these much more revealing then any manufacturer's specs.
So, bfrank...since you said you tested the system at work, could you please explain how it was tested. What type of room, any SPL measurements, where they were taken from, source material, frequency response, etc. would me most appreciated. Thanks.
And could you please elaborate on the 'tons of eq designed in', and 'many manufacturers do' claims, as I'm not quite sure what you mean. Thanks again.
Old 03-18-02, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Several of my friends have bose setups, and have been less than impressed, esp when trying to watch a true action movie w explosions etc.

However those wave radios they make are sweet I think.

I can see the dark and light.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.