Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

VCR hookup question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-02, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VCR hookup question

OK, as I understand it, if you use regular old coax cable between your VCR and the TV, the all the video and audio is passed through it. So, if you instead use a composite video (yellow RCA) and the L&R audio (black & red RCA) connections between the VCR & TV, do those connections supercede the coax connection for the audio and video connections? I guess what I'm asking is how does the VCR know which connection to use to pass audio and video to the TV, if both are in place?TIA.
Old 02-04-02, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good question...but why would you use an RCA cable at the same time as a coax cable? Just junk the coax.
Old 02-04-02, 11:11 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I think it's more how does the device getting the VCR's output know which connections to use. That is determined by whether you tell it to use the channel 3 or 4 input or the composite/audio inputs. The VCR probably outputs all of them at the same time. It's up to the next component to determine which it uses for input.
Old 02-05-02, 09:08 AM

Criptik28, the reason I can't junk the coax, is because it acts as a 'passthrough' for the cable signal, i.e., the signal comes out of the wall, to the VCR 'in', and the second piece of coax goes from the VCR 'out' to the TV. I tried to have only the composite out from the VCR to the yellow 'in' for the TV, but that works only for the tape playback.

As for the TV being the determiner of which input it displays, this set has no such settings that I can find. It uses Ch. 3 for the VCR playback.
Old 02-05-02, 09:16 AM

If your TV has the composite A/V jacks then you can junk the coax cable. Your TV should have a channel below 2 or 3 called "Aux", "Video 1" or something like that. When you select that channel the TV will be getting the signal from the composite jacks. Some TVs will have a TV/Video button you need to use in order to reach the Aux or Video 1 inputs.
Old 02-05-02, 09:46 AM

Right. I just figured that out. I used to use that input for my DVD player, and now I realize that I had to use the 'Video/TV' button on the remote to get the DVD signal to show. I knew I came to the right place for answers! Thanks.