DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

PS2 stuck in 4:3 Letterbox

Old 01-10-02, 11:54 AM

PS2 stuck in 4:3 Letterbox

First off my Sony S560D is getting repaired it kept giving me No Disc errors, very annoying.

So now I'm forced to use my PS2 as a DVD player and I can't get the PS2 off of the 4:3 Letterbox setting. I follow the instructions in the manual and hit X on the setup menu and it highlights it and I try and switch the setting and it won't change. Since I have a 16:9 TV I'd like to take advantage of it!!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-10-02, 12:54 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

may be a silly question but gotta ask: when do you attempt to do the setting change--before you put in disc, after disc is put in, while movie is playing, or when movie is stopped?

--HN
Old 01-10-02, 01:40 PM

While the disc is in the player, couldn't get to the settings menu any other way. I hit select and then go into the setup menu.

When I do the setup without the disc in the player I can set it to 16:9 but then once I put any movie in it automatically goes to 4:3 Letter Box.
Old 01-10-02, 02:32 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ok try this. as the disc is playing, stop it (not just pause or going to settings while playing), go to settings to make the change and then play (it should resume where last stopped).

--HN
Old 01-10-02, 03:41 PM

Thanks

I'll play with the PS2 some more tonight and see if that works.

Thanks again
Old 01-10-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What HN is getting at, is that you have to set it to 16x9 on the dvd player menu, not on the main PS2 menu. I had the same problem at first. You have to put in a dvd, then pause it (or something) and bring up the dvd options menu. That's where you have to select 16x9, etc. It tells you in the directions how to get the dvd menu. The main menu works for the games (although you still select it in the games, so I don't know if it does anything).